Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'05 TRX350FE

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 TRX350FE

Hi all,

After looking for a few weeks at used Ranchers, I have put money down on an '05 TRX350FE. This machine looks as if it has been ridden maybe only once or twice. There is no mud or mud stains on the axels or undercarriage, no scractches in the plastic, air filter looks like it has never been run. The only sign of wear is a some scratches on the paint on the back bar of the back rack and it looks like the skidplate may have been removed and reinstalled (bolts have black paint missing around the hex). The story is that it purchased at an auction after it had been repoed. The selling price is $3500.

My plans are to use it around our 250 acre property for spraying, riding fences, hauling the splitter, etc. I have 2 boys, 16 & 9 and I am sure they may have other plans for it :[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]!!!!

Here are my questions:
1) I am confused about the model. This ATV does not have the LCD screen, but instead has 3 (or maybe 4) lights below the handle bars and gas guage on the tank. How did honda designate the models that had LCD? Can it be an "FE" model and not have the LCD? Did they have the LCD in 05? The hour meter & odometer would be nice .... dont care much about the speedo. I think that I can wire an hour meter in if I really want one.

2) The price looks "about right' to me, maybe a little better than about right given the (seemingly) mint condition. THe Kelly Blue Book dealer price is $3580 & I am buing it from an indiviudal so, no taxes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Does $3500 seem reasonable? Better than reasonable?

3) I don't think I really need 4WD, but not opposed to it, if I can get a good deal on it. Are there any drawback to 4WD from a riding or maintenance standpoint? I have read (at least on the '06 models) that the two main complaints are that you cannot take it out of 4WD, and there is no way to lock the front differential. I understand that a kit can be purchased to take it out of 4WD. Approx how much is it and how much trouble is it to install. I guess the other question is when would you want to take it out of 4WD (when used sticktly as a utility vehicle)? Also, I am out of my comfort zone here, but why would someone complain about not being able to lock the front differential, but not complain about not being able to lock the rear? Or can you lock the rear?? Again, when would you want to do this?

4) Is the best place to pick up an owners manual and service manual from the link that you get from the Honda web site. Looks like $64 for both + shipping? Is there no place to download these (for free ;&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Gues those are my main questions. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 TRX350FE

ok, i have a 2005 TRX350FE, and mine has the LCD. are you sure it's an Electric shift model?? if it has a foot shifter pedal on the left, then it's an FM model (Four wheel drive, Manual shift) instead of the FE (four wheel drive, electric shift) If it has no pedal on the left and has 2 gray buttons on the left handle bar with an up and down arrow, then it is indeed a FE. It's possible this was a salvage model, because the foot shifter model has the small dash with just the 3 lights (oil temp, neutral and reverse) and for money reasons they just put the simple dash cluster on, but i dont know that it would just plug and play, i would think it needs to be rewired, i dunno. I would double check the VIN against a database to make sure of what you're getting, the FM model has just the 3 lights, the FE model will have the LCD. perhaps the canadian model was different, and you have a canadian model here?? there is no gas guage on the LCD either, the gas guage is part of the tank on all those models. perhaps it's better that it doesnt have the speedo, because if it did, your children will just be curious how fast it will go! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

as far as 4x4 maintenance, not much to worry about. it's all shaft driven, there's just another differential with maybe a half quart of oil to change in it, but the rear end holds even less so you'll be buying 1 quart anyway to change the rear fluid out, so you'll have enough for the front too. it's pretty much bullet proof. The 4x4 comes in quite handy too on trail rides. The machine is full time 4x4, but Warn makes a kit for around 300 dollars that makes it so you can switch to 2wd. The front diff is a semi-locker, it has SOME limited slip capability, but not much. for the work you do, i wouldnt worry about it. As far as the rear axle, it's a solid rear axle, so it's always "locked" as you describe it, since its a solid steel bar.

for manuals, a clymer service manual will be ok, and will probably suffice as a double duty for an onwners manual too. you wont need both. I have the Honda service manual for mine, and it has all the info of the owners manual plus more.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '05 TRX350FE

If it is a Rancher ES with electric shift, there are sure a lot of posts in here about problems with the shifting electronics...so it is buyer beware on that one. Get a manual foot shifter instead if you can find one!

All the pre07 Ranchers are full time 4wd. Get a Warn 424, and it will turn it into a selectable 2wd/4wd...best mod you can make to this machine!