Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04 honda recon es stalls when opening throttle.. pls help

Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 honda recon es stalls when opening throttle.. pls help

first the atv have a hard time staying idle.. so i turn the idle adjuster in all the way and that solved the idleing problem, but then when i push the throttle the thing stall. so i turn it back out 2 and a half turn. and by doing this, the quad doesn't stay running.

also i notice that the spark plug got dirty quick i just replace it a day ago.

any help would be appreciated. thankx

Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a water problem, check your oil to make sure that its clean, not whiteish. also add some drygas to your gas and drain some of the carbureator gas out. if the spark plug got dirty quick then that means youve got a bad gas/oil mixture

Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

ok, when you say 'dirty' spark plug, you mean it got black fast, or white, or what?

also, which idle adjuster did you turn, the one with the thumb-wheel on it, or the slotted screwdriver one way on the bottom?

it sounds like you have a plugged carburetor jet, possibly pilot jet or main jet. plugged main jet would explain why it dies when you give it gas, but a plugged pilot jet would explain the idle issues. a black spark plug would be the opposite tho- too much gas, so it seems we have contradictory symptoms here. Regardless, i would recommend a carburetor disassembly and cleaning.

also check for any rips in the boot between the carb and the intake, also check any vacuum lines.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, ill try changing oil and disassembly the carburetor and cleaning it. Ok if i disassemble the carb, do i need to get an carburetor kit also?

by the way, with the spark plug issue, what i ment was that ,it was all black withen a day.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

to properly clean the jets you wont need a carb kit. Just get the carb off, or just disassemble it enough to turn the carb upside-down and take the bowl off the bottom, usually 4 screws. The main jet is the brass thing with a hole in it right in the middle, the pilot jet will be same color, also has a hole in it, but is usually screwed down into a recess in the carburetor body, mounted toward the engine more from the main jet. Just buy a spray can of carburetor cleaner and spray through the jets, they should be completely open. After taking the bowl off, if there's a layer of green stuff on the surface of everything, you'll need to take the carb apart and clean every thing, it's that green stuff that plugs jets up, and usually forms when the machine sits and the gas gets old without any fuel stabilizer in it. If there is no green, and every thing looks clean, put it back together and give it a try.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, just finish cleaning and putting it all back together. also did spark plug and oil change and everything looks good but it didn't help anything, it still stalls when i give it gas, it also backfire now when i pump the throttle to keep it running. oh. also put in new gas.
any ideas? anyone.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

was there anything you did that led up to this problem? did you just buy it like this? Did it run fine last fall and now it doesnt run right?

I'm thinking maybe the float or the float valve in the carb may be bad, or possibly an engine timing problem.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Quicksilver to me it also sounds like a plugged jet, running out of gas, or the choke is on...Did you make sure that you could see light through both the pilot and main jet and turn them back in all the way?...After you used carb cleaner and cleaned the jets and carb I would screw the adjuster screw back in and retune the carb...Also how clean is your airfilter because if it is dirty that is why you have a dirty carb.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

well last fall , i think the intake sucks up some water and i didn't bother working on it because of the weather. so it sat there till now, i'll buy a new carb kit and we'll see from there, i'll this updated.

thankx for the help guys..

Old 04-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

if the intake took in water, your in big doo doo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 honda recon es stalls when opening throttle.. pls help