Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX90 where do I check valve clearance?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX90 where do I check valve clearance?

I know how to adjust the valve but I cant figure out which cover to remove so I can get a gauge between valve and rocker arm. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Access to valve adjusment inspection caps. located at the top and bottom in n the forward section of the head.
Picture of head assembly of honda 90

Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

none

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help. I have a service manual ordered but it hasnt arrived yet and I couldnt wait any longer.

Randall

Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hondamechanic,
I have a 2002 trx90. The reason I was asking about the valves is the machine will not idle at an even speed. I have cleaned the carb 3 times, new fuel, new plug, and cleaned air filter. It was suggested to me that the intake valve might be out of adjustment (not closing all the way). I plan on checking this this evening but I was wondering if you had any ideas in case this doesnt fix it. First let me say that these are supposed to be cold natured machines but when I crack this one it does not required choking (even if it has been a couple of days) and it idles smooth but at a higher rpm than when its warm. Also you can rev the motor without it cuting out or off. Once warm the idle will slow to an acceptable rpm, but if you give any gas it will come back to idle at a higher rpm. If you left it idle for a minute or give a quick push on the throttle, it will lower the rpm to where they where set. Once the idle has returned to normal if you let it run a bit longer without touching the throttle the idle will continue to become lower and lower until it cuts off. These are my symptoms. I have had the bike for about a year and a have and it has always done it, we just lived with it until now and I want to fix it. Also, this may not be related but it has started smoking excessively as of late. Tha smoke looks to be blue rather than black which I think indicates oil rather than flooding, but Im having a hard time believin they arent related since we have done nothing to damaged the motor and it wasnt smoking we I bought it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randall McGowan

Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds to me like either your air/fuel mixture is off or maybe your jetting. How does the plug look?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

The valve clearence is good .002". The air/fuel screw is set per the service manual, seated and backed off 1 3/4 turns. As for the jets, I bought the bike used and dont know how to tell if they are the stock jets or not. That might be the problem if someone changed them trying to fix the cold starting problems but I have no way to tell.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

plug looks black which I think indicates its running rich.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

none

Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

I have tried adjusting the air screw all the way out and it doesnt help. The valves are good. Im wondering if the folks who owned it before me maybe changed the pipe and rejeted and when they went to sell it put the old pipe back on and didnt change the jets back. Or if it was sold at a higher altitude and came with larger jets. The only thing I can think of that I havent checked are the correct jets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRX90 where do I check valve clearance?