Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 honda rancher fourtrax 350 shifting problem

Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 honda rancher fourtrax 350 shifting problem

Good afternoon folks!

My name is Chris. I am a firefighter in New York. I am new to quads and this forum.

I have a problem.

I purchased an 05 TRX350 Rancher for my wife (simple automatic foot shifting was the attraction).

I now cannot go through the forward gears.

I have reverse.

I tried to adjust the clutch as stated in the owner's manual, however, it did not work.

Could my fluid level be low? If so, how do I check it?

I don't see how the friction discs could be that worn in one year as to warrant replacement, however, I did work this little guy well in the past year.

Is this a common maintenance issue with these quads?

Could over-revving in a low gear contribute to this problem? (It took my wife some time to understand the mechanics of this nice little quad).

I bought this quad new from an insurance buy out from a dealer that had Hurricane Katrina damage last year. I received a decent discount, however, all warranties are out the window when you buy any new vehicle that is classified as salvage. There was no water damage to this quad (water up to the rims...that?s it). I do not know of any recalls and, since I live in NY, I will most likely get bopped over the head with a big bill. I am pretty handy in the workshop, and would consider working on it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for this novel, I just want to make sure I have tried everything possible before I go to the local shop backwards ;-).

Take care.

Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

ok-this is interesting because it's a foot-shifted one, not known to have ANY problems at all. The electric-shift ones are the ones that have the problems...

anyways, the fluid level you speak of is the engine oil, it shares oil with the engine. check the oil as specified in your onwers manual.

I had a 2004 foot-shifted rancher 350, and it was hard to get it to 2nd gear the first time after starting it. it took a little more effort than normal, but as soon as it went it would be fine all day, seemed to be a normal concern for those machines.

if you're still haveing problems, you could try shifting it with the engine off. you'll have to roll the machine a little while shifting to make it fully engage each gear. if it's still not working, you have a mechanical problem that will most likely need dis-assembly, something that even the handiest handyman will find difficult. lots of little parts!!!
if it shifts fine with the engine off, you might have a clutch issue maybe not disengaging all the way, verify you did the adjustment correctly. otherwise-time for the dealer.

note to ES system bashers----PROOF that the foot shifted isn't 100% bulletproof!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

The oil level is between the 1st and 2nd line as recommended by Honda.

I'll try messing with it again today as you suggested.

I want to buy a larger Honda for my self (I'm 6'3" @ 240lbs). I find the little rancher to be a bit small for me even though I did buy it for the bride. The shift pedal is uncomfortable for me due to my 36" legs. It is difficult for me to get it into gear without having to lift up my entire leg to engage. I have been reading many posts from all of the members regarding the new larger Hondas and will need to do more research. I prefer a clutch shift, due to the fact that I have many miles of snowmobile trails in upstate New York that I love to ride. As of now, I ride my Dr-Z400S in front of my wife, however, I have to slow it down in order not to loose her. This is a problem because I need speed in order to traverse the trails without falling (never mind the fallout from her when I ditch her?he he he).

What would you recommend as an upgrade for me?

When is the best time to buy a new Quad money wise?

It would be used for trails, farm work, and bow hunting.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I own a 05 Rancher with the manual tranny and after starting it's hard to shift up until the engine warms up. I start off in 2nd and before it warms, I usually have to come to a stop to upshift. I have tried shifting up through all 5 gears before starting it but that seems to have no effect. After it warms up, it shifts fine the rest of the day.
I think this is a common trait among the manuals.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried all of the suggestions posted....thanks.
It still does not shift into gear.
I will need to bring it in for service (ouch).
I am trying to find dealers up near Oneonta NY (where my farm is). I know I will be treated better and any repair will cost less than the dealerships in NYC.
Wish me luck.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Old 10-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

well i know it might be odd but how long was the quad under water in new orleans. because i talked to insurance companies on the cars, and there was a huge article in car and driver last yr. something might have rusted or broke inside. if i were u id just bring it in for a look see at the dealership. i hope u did'nt pay anmore than 2k for it?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Kickass 210:

The water mark on this quad never went above the rims. This one was bone dry. I did find a few that had water in the air box (I stayed away from those units). As for the price, I paid $3,100 with a Honda generator that I use up at the farm. I figure that I discounted my money at around 35%. The generator I bought lists for $1,200 and my quad listed for $5,100. I have seen them go for low $4's. I was happy with the deal. I am also happy with the quad. It pulled small trailers, it pulled large appliances that were dumped in the woods (part of the purchase price included the debris clean up I inherited when I bought the farm). In retrospect, I worked this little guy well. If I need a new trans (I hope not) well, so be it. I will just factor that cost into the clean up project that I just recently completed. Maybe I just need a new set of friction discs. Who knows?

Anybody know of an honest Honda dealer/repair shop in the Oneonta/ Albany New York area(s)?

I'll let you know how it turns out. Today I pressure washed the little fellow and it looks spanking new again.

Thanks for your information.

Chris

Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

ll i hope u get it working. its a good quad alot of people will tell u, u'll need 800 cc utility quads lol.