Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Automatic tranny question, how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Automatic tranny question, how does it work?

In 07 the 350 (carburated/air cooled) was replaced with the 420 (fuel injected/water cooled). The 400AT lived on unchanged for 07.

Note that none of the Ranchers (or the Recon and the 400EX) are listed in Honda's web site as 08 models. Traditionally, this means that there will be significant updates on these machines! Look for that info after Sept. 6!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kerbmonster,...the 250EX does NOT have a belt.....ANYWHERE

RSeb,....The 250EX does require to pull the clutch to shift gears just like any other manual clutch operated ATV. The clutch on the 250EX only makes it impossible to stall the engine via the centifugal clutch. I see posts all the time on here about it being ok to not clutch when you shift like you do on a Recon, or any other auto clutch, just because it does function. But its actually not the case at all.
In the process of converting the old tranny with this new design, it has no way of disengaging the clutch when you move the shift lever as in the old 250EX. It is ONLY operated via the clutch cable.
You can slam on the brakes without clutching,..and you can start without clutching. But you must clutch when shifting.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reconranger,
What are you hearing in your neck of the woods on the unaannounced 08 models?
I spoke to one of the Honda reps on Tuesday and he said not many rumors were coming through the pipeline concerning new models or updates in particular,..but did say that Honda brought up the issue of power steering at their last meeting and it was said that the company looks to push more models with power steering in the future.

I spent my first considerable ammount of seat time on a power steering quad a few weeks back,...Foreman,...I fell in love with that thing. Not because it was easier to steer necessarily, although it was,... but because bumpsteer was virtually non existent.

The PS unit on the Honda's are very simple compared to the setup the Grizz uses....and run about $650.00 for the whole thing. It is torque sensitive and everything is encased. One power...and one ground. I plan to get some weight numbers of the unit very, very soon. Realistically, I dont think it weighs anymore than my Scotts steering stabilizer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KNOWSALOT didn't you go to the TRX500FPE service school ...? .. At the service school we removed the steering shaft & PS unit dis-assembled it looked at how it works then re-assembled and installed it then initialized it using both the HDS tester & the SCS connector at the DLC port ..