Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot

I need to replace the cv boot on my atv (outboard). It looks like I will need to disassemble the whole front end diff to be able to get the shaft off so I can slide the outboard boot on. This means I will need to take the inboard boot off also. Is there any easier way of doing all this?

Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Range Rover
Default CV Boot

Hello,
Yes, you'll want to do that from the inner end for sure. I've attached the instruction from my website (see below)
1. Jack the vehicle off the ground and secure it from rolling.
2. Remove the wheel.
3. Remove the axle nut (large nut on the outside of the hub)
4. Remove the lower control arm bolt from the ball joint and hub assembly. Then remove the bolt from the shock and upper control arm
5. The hub will be able to swing out away allowing the outer cv joint to be slipped out through the back. This may require a tap on the threaded end of the outer cv joint. Put the axle nut back on half way so that you can tap on it without damaging the threads.
6. The inner cv joint will be the only thing holding it axle in place. The inner cv joint is held in by a “c” clip, just pry it away from the differential and it will pop out, you may need to tap it from behind. Now you should be able to pull it out of the differential.
7. If you are only replacing the boot you’ll want to do that from the inner cv joint end of the shaft, refer to inner cv joint instructions). However, if you are removing the outer cv joint you’ll want to put the cv axle in a vise by the shaft close to the inner cv or u-joint . Cut the boot clamps and make sure that your cv joint is not held on by a clip that you can see on the shaft under the boot (this is only on a few later models). If there is no clip you’ll want to tap lightly on the outer cv joint and then give it a few good hits to knock it off of the shaft (I use a 5 lb sledge. (wear glasses, grease may fly!) It usually comes off with one or two good blows with the hammer. However, If it doesn't come off put the axle in a vise and try again. If it still doesn't come off use your hammer to break the cage and remove the ball bearings. This will expose the race. You'll need to press the race off of the shaft. You can use a punch and hammer to punch the shaft back through the race. Other wise you'll need to use a press. Or cut it off with a cutoff saw. Cut the race in the direction of the splines on the shaft. That way it won't affect your new joint going onto the splines.
8. Now that the joint is removed cut away the old boot and clamps and clean the shaft with parts cleaner or Brake clean.
9. Put on the new boot and slide it toward the inner out of the way.
10. Cut the corner of the grease packet to make it like a baker’s bag. This will allow you to squirt the grease into the hole were the shaft will go. Fill the outer cv joint until the grease comes up around the ***** and set the rest aside for later in this procedure.
11. Now put a little grease on the "c" clip on the shaft to help hold it centered
12. Take the outer cv joint and line up with the splines of the shaft and make sure that your clip is not sticking out to one side or the other.
13. Now place the axle nut onto the threads half way to avoid damaging the threads and tap the joint back onto the shaft. If it doesn't go fairly easily then back off and use a screw driver the press the clip in while putting pressure until it is no longer exposed then the joint will tap on with ease.

14. Now squirt the remaining grease around the top of the joint (it may not require all of the grease packet just use about a 1" bead all the way around) were the shaft meets the joint and slide your boot down and clamp the large clamp first.
15. Now use a screw driver to go in between the small end of the boot and shaft to release any trapped air or suction that may be deforming the boot. Then install the small clamp.
16. Now ready to install the axle. Just use your removal procedure in reverse.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boot

Thank you so much. This saved me hours and hours of work. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CV Boot

I have a 2006 Foreman.

I just need to clean, regrease and reclamp my front left bottom cv boot. Will these instructions pretty much be the same for me?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Range Rover
Default CV Boot

You'll want to go at that from the inner joint end. The only way to remove the outer cv joint is to hit it off and you risk damaging the joint. Checkout the inner cv joint removal instructions on my web site atInner cv removal instructions
If you have any questions or concerns you can email me or call 1-800-338-2326 M-Sat. 8-6 e.s.t..
Thank you,
Danny Walburn
CV Restoration

Old 08-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CV Boot"></title><script src=

I wish I saw this before I went to Honda and spent $90.00 on a front boot kit.
will the instructions in post #2 work for a 2008 TRX420FE.

Dave

Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boot"></title><script src=

I'm in the process of replacing an outer CV boot on an 01 Rancher.

So it does look like I have to remove the inner boot and assembly, then slide the new outter boot from the inner side to the outer end of the cv. Is that correct?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Default CV Boot

Hello Guys,
Yes, on the Honda applications, you'll want to change the outer cv boot from the inner cv joint end. The only way to remove the outer joint is to hit it off and you risk damaging the joint. If you have any questions or concerns you can email me or call 1-800-338-2326 M-Sat. 9-6 e.s.t..

Danny Walburn
CV Restoration

Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boot

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: CV Boot