Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX250

???????????

Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX250

space that could do with filling? I run 10 TRX250's and we have all sorts of people on them - 3 great big Russians, half dozen Ozzies and Kiwis, 2 Poms and a Congolese girl today in our quiet season - for instance. They have required very lttle maintainence, generally check they tyres and oil each morning and they are ready. They have been smacked into trees, over banks, one went right through the wall of a mud hut (cheap to repair)

Our nearest dealers are 2000 miles away so I have been buying from the US. As soon as I can get some more money together I will get some more . They are ideal for people with no experience and our Ugandan staff have managed to become pretty good at fixing them when we can't get replacement parts.

Honda have done real well with these and I assume with the bigger ones.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda TRX250

I'm not sure if the trx250 is a recon, I think it's the older version of a 300ex.

Maybe a question would help us find the right answer though...

Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX250

TRX250 = RECON

Old 02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
KJM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX250

Okay....I'll ask a question.

I have a 2002 TRX250EX that is in great condition but has been sitting for a while. I suspect I have some carburetor problems. It will start great at full choke and idles fine at full choke. However, once I start pulling the choke off it will not run nor idle. I'm fairly mechanical but have never dealt much with carburetors. I assume it needs some adjusting or a kit.

1. Can someone guide me to a good "how to" resource?
2. If I chicken out and go have it done, what should I expect to pay to get the carb set up correctly?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX250

It's an easy carb to get at, remove, clean and replace. Be carefull not to drop anything when you open it and note where each bit came from. Clean the bowl, blow out the jets that are screwed into the caseing sbumerged in the bowl. If you take out the 'airscrew' (small needle screwwed into the R/H side of the barb body casing) first check how many turns to screw in till tight (fully closed).

Anyway... it's all pretty easy and good to have a look at whats there under the seat.

You may want to just try opening the drain screww under neath the carb bowl first, let out any water that will have probably accumulated from condenation in the tank. If it has been left for a long time the petrol will go off (I guess that you didn't drain it when you stored it?). Let it drain for a few secs. and if you are keen, catch the drain off to check for water and or crud. Sorta like a urine sample!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda TRX250

If it sat for a while and the fuel was never drained from the tank and carb, it's going to be all gummed up. So you'll have to tear it all apart and clean it out good, and replace the old gas with new. You're probably looking at around $200 for a dealer to do it for you, just because dealers love to overcharge for simple things. You shouldn't have any trouble doing it yourself if you have patience and some mechanical skills. To make it easier on yourself, i'd recommend getting a service manual first. That will have step by step instructions with illustrations to tear it apart and re-assemble it.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
KJM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX250

Thanks for the feedback. I just bought the TRX250 from someone whose son has moved off to college and said it had been sitting for a while. You've convinced me to give it a shot...I figure the worst that can happen is I'll have to take it in and get it professionally done if I screw it up so might as well attempt it myself first.

In regards to a service manual, is the CLYMER good enough? That's all I've seen on the web so far.

(Another question, a friend suggested running a little Berryman's carb cleaner through the gas to see if that is enough to clean it out. Any thoughts on that?)

Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda TRX250

The clymer manual should work great for you, they do a better job explaining stuff than even the factory service manuals the dealers get. If I were you, i'd just take the carb apart and skip the "miracle cleaners". Taking a carb apart and cleaning it out is a good thing to learn at your leisure anyways, instead of when you go riding and get some dirt clogging up one of your jets.

Quick Reply: Honda TRX250