Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 250 Recon idle screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 250 Recon idle screw

Hi, this is a dumb question but I'm still new to this 4 wheeler stuff. I got a little more idle out of the adjuster on the throttle cable but I need more idle and can't find anything on the motor that looks like an idle screw. When plowing snow in the cold it seems to need a tad more idle.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the idle screw is on the side of the carb, on the right (i think) side. the pilot screw is kind of under the float bowl, and is a real bugger/hand-burner to get at. the idle screw is easy. it's really the only big one you'll see on the right side. pretty sure it's just a slot screw.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Pro Rider

You don't adjust the idle at the throttle cable. If you can do that, your cable is too tight. You need some play in the throttle lever. Otherwise it's possible when you turn the handlebars it can pull the cable and make your machine take off when you may not want it too. Confused buyer is right, there is both an idle speed and a slow mixture adjustment screw. Use those for adjustments.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I'll put the throttle cable adjustment back the way it was, somebody showed me how to adjust that for more idle, they probably didn't know either. I see a slotted screw on the right side of the carb, I'll mess with it the next time I fire it up.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

your friend was right but for the wrong reason. what happens is, you pull the throttle body up slightly by taking away the freeplay. there should be a about 1/4-1/2 inch of freeplay in the thumb throttle before you get any response. the idle screw accomplishes the same thing, but leaves you with some freeplay. it's almost like a set-screw that holds the throttle body up a bit higher= increased rpm. you'll know you have the right screw, because it's ALWAYS directly in line/below where the throttle body screws into the top of your carb. the throttle body has a taper that sits on top of that screw. and dzzy was right, no freeplay is dangerous cuz a sharp turn could cause a tug on the throttle cable = speed you didn't intend for.

good luck. Oh, BTW, that under-float bowl pilot screw can be reached awkwardly with like a slot screwdriver bit, the type you'd put in a drill or screwdriver with interchangeable bits. that tiny screw should be fully seated in, then backed out somewhere between 2, to 2-1/2 turns. ALSO..... pay attention to how many turns in you're going the first time you seat it in, so you know where you were before you started the adjustment. you may find you want to go back to that spot.likely, this was set by a mechanic, and yours is so new, it should be in the correct spot already.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

If you've located both the idle mix and idle speed screws, maybe it's a good time to go through the procedure for setting them up properly. Honda's setting on the mix screw isn't always ideal, and sometimes a half turn one way or the other can make a big difference. Ideally you'd use a tach to get the final idle adjustment exact, but it isn't absolutely necessary on a recon. First step, take your machine for a ride and get it up to operating temperature. Next, adjust your idle speed to the point where it stays running, but it's on the low side. Then, access your mix screw (in is lean, out is richer). Slowly turn your mix screw out (usually Honda's settings are lean to start with) maybe a quarter turn at a time, while listening carefully to the idle speed. If your idle smooths out and increases, you're going the right direction, if not, try turning in. If your idle picks up considerably as your turning the mix screw out, turn it down a bit via the idle speed screw. Continue on until the point where the mix screw doesn't make a difference anymore. You may end up as far out as 3.5 or 4 turns, especially in the Winter. Finish by setting the idle speed to a comfortable setting or...if you have a tach, set it to spec. Please note, outside temps make a difference. You will end up with slightly different settings for summer or winter. Mix screw adjustment is also a good way to check slow jetting. If these adjustments make no difference, your slow gas jet in the carb is probably clogged, or the wrong size.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I'm gonna print this page out so I can take it out to the garage with me this week. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck. As confusedbuyer points out, setting the mix screw can be a bit hot on the hands. A pair of mechanics gloves and a good light so you can see what you're doing will come in handy.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

i actually found removing the seat, and coming at it with my hand /wrist bent from the right side of carb (assuming your in riding position), caused the least amount of burn and aggravation. and i tried the mechanix gloves too from the left side, but i just couldn't get it.you'll see, when you remove seat there's pretty much only one spot you can get at it from.