Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

96 300 fourtrax hard to start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 300 fourtrax hard to start in cold weather

I have a 96 300 fourtrax that is very hard to start in cold weather. I use full choke when cranking during low tempatures. Unfortunately, a heated garage is not an option.

Any ideas on making it easier to start? I have been advised that changing the spark plug may help.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

is it in a shed ?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've also got a 96 300 4x4. Try priming the carb. Believe it or not, I just discovered that the prime button existed last year (I know, RTFM). Anyway, hit the prime button a couple of times and I think it'll start right up.

RSeb

Old 12-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

Check your exhaust gasket sometimes if they leak they can be hard to start cold .

Old 12-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the trx300 does have a primer, but I can't believe it gets cold enough in Mississippi to even require it. Generally, I've found you don't even need it until the temperature is well below 0F. Full choke and no throttle should be adequate. A one range hotter plug does help ( NGK DPR7EA9 ) and you can safely run it up to 75F or so. Or the plug you have currently could be fouled...or partially fouled. The most common problem I see for hard starting is fuel related or simple infrequent use. Gas degrades quickly in your carb, where the small amount stored (maybe 60cc) is essentially exposed to atmostphere, even though what's in your fuel tank is OK (of course after a month or so that is in question too). The part of the gas that evaporates easily (and makes your machine start easily) goes away fast, in as little as a week or so. These problems show up fast when the temperature drops. I suggest you try draining your carburator before trying to start if your machine has been sitting without use more than a week. Turn your gas off, and find the flat blade screw at the very bottem of the carb, turn it out a half turn or so, and gas will drain out the hose hooked to the bottem of the carb. Turn the screw back in, turn your gas back on and wait about 30 seconds. If you do that, I'll bet your machine will pop right off.

Old 01-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. I think the problem is the spark plug. I cleaned it and it is cranking better already. The plug in it now is a
NGK DPR8EA9. Is this the correct plug?

Is there an easy way to dertermine the year?

TRX 300T
Color G-152
Code G-152

Old 01-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that is the standard plug. Don't waste your time cleaning the plug, it won't work for long after that. After they're fouled once, they will foul repeatedly. I've seen this over and over. Just put a new one in.

Old 01-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, usually the year is displayed on an adhesive sticker on the front of the frame, right between the two wheels. If it's gone, write down the 17 digit VIN number stamped in about the same area. Any Honda dealer should be able to give you the correct model year with that number.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. No sticker, but I found the VIN.

Don't know about other parts of the country, but the 300 fourtrax has obtained legendary status in MS. You rarely see a used one for sale and if you do, it is priced so high that you could almost by a new ATV for the same money. When I was researching what ATV to purchase, almost everyone (no matter what brand ATV they rode) said to buy a mid 90s model year 300 fourtrax. Several people said that those engines would run forever and Honda had made a mistake switching to a "sideways engine."

Old 01-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: geneange
Thanks. No sticker, but I found the VIN.

Don't know about other parts of the country, but the 300 fourtrax has obtained legendary status in MS. You rarely see a used one for sale and if you do, it is priced so high that you could almost by a new ATV for the same money. When I was researching what ATV to purchase, almost everyone (no matter what brand ATV they rode) said to buy a mid 90s model year 300 fourtrax. Several people said that those engines would run forever and Honda had made a mistake switching to a "sideways engine."
I've had my '96 for a long time and a lot of trouble-free miles. I plan to buy a new Rubicon as soon as the dealer calls to tell me he has a yellow one. The plan is to sell the 300 as soon as I get the new one, now I'm wishing I could keep it too.

Can you guys help me decide a fair price? Like I said, it's a '96 300 4x4. Red. No mods, all stock. Always garage kept. Always kept the oil fresh. Original tires and battery. Still runs like new. Plastic is in very good shape. I was thinking $2500 would be a fair price. Does that sound reasonable?

RSeb

Quick Reply: 96 300 fourtrax hard to start in cold weather