Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 09-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default Difference between recon and 250 EX

Hi, I want to get a couple of 250cc machines for my kids. I saw the 04' recon at really good price on the paper ($2750). I'm wondering what's the big difference between the Recon and the 250EX besides being utility vs. sport. Aren't they suppose to be the same machine except for the plastic, racks and tires? The 250EX is about $500 more than the recon. My kids want the 250EX because their friends have them. I'm thinking just get the recon and get a new set of tires. What are the pro's and con's of the two? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to DarkManX

Had an 01 recon brought it through hell and back and is still running perfect today

differnct between the recon and ex are Racks,plastics,headlamps,ground clearence,frame,tires,and rims

both are really the same 1 looks more sporty for $500 bucks!

250ex
Pros:can be raced by adding a clutch,good learning atv,not heavy,not to much power and speed,shifts easily,dime stoping brakes,can good handeling

CONS: no clutch,only a 229cc,shaft driven sport atv

Recon
Pros: shifts easy,can go through mud well,awesome trail machine,good handeling,can tow 500-700lbs,has manual shift or ESP with manual backup,has eletic start with recoil back up, good suspension,

Cons:need a bit more power (throw in a aftermarket pipe),racks should handel more that what it is labeld! (i had 400lbs on the back and 300lbs on the front and it rode fine)

one just looks cooler but its the same engine !

so for looks you will pay $500 more but the Recon is a little bigger and a bit heavier but has Excellent handeling!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Garage is empty, add now

The EX is a Recon with sport plastic. The biggest advantage the EX has is that it is 50 lbs. lighter, and doesn't have the racks. In terms of safety, I always prefer a light sport bike. Think about it. If the kids roll the bike, which do you want on top of them, some hard steel racks or some soft sport bike plastic? And, the EX is wider, so it has more stability in corners. Get the EX, it will do everything the Recon will do (as long as you don't need the cargo space of the racks).

I like the stock Recon tires, but the EX will be way better off is you get some Holeshot tires, and get rid of those balooney stock ones.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

I read a lot about the recon's reliability here. Will the 250EX just as reliable since they have the same engine? The recon must be not selling as well as the 250EX. Many dealers have the 04' recon on close-out sale at a much more reduced price comparing to 05' model. Is there any big changes from 04' to 05' models? They still selling 04' 250EX only $100 less than the 05' model. Just curious...

I went to honda's website but no 05' recon listed yet. Anyone have pre-release information on the 05' recon?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

more kids like the sportbikes and now that i think about it reconranger is right i fliped the recon and im 15 5'11" and 187lbs and the rack HURTS! lol but the 250ex sells better because most people want a 4x4 utility not a 2x4
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Red Rider
Garage is empty, add now

The Recon gets a body redesign for 05 (SUV styling like the Rancher and Rincon). You should be able to get an 04 fairly cheap!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

ReconRanger do you know where i can view a pic of the 05 recon?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Red Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Looks pretty good! My advice would be to avoid the ES. There are always a couple of ES problem posts on the board at any given time.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/ut...elId=TRX250TM5

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/ut...elId=TRX250TE5
Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to recon99

I own a recon, and my brother has a 250ex. There are many differences other than weight and the racks and plastic. The ex has disc brakes, taller gears, higher compression, oil cooling, and a completely different top end.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
250, 250cc, 250ex, atv, difference, diffrence, honda, manuel, plastic, plastics, ranger, recon, speed, sport, trx250te5