Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Fat Cat Re-Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Cat Re-Power

Hello All, I am fresh to the forum and hoping to get some help from some Honda gurus out there... I purchased a 87 Tr200 fat cat recently minus the complete motor. It was as if 30 years ago the motor was removed and it sat inside ever since. Very nice condition overall with that main component missing. I have searched eBay and only find parts for this machine...I doubt if I will ever find a complete fat cat motor available but I am wondering what other honda 200cc motors would fit tin this frame and power my FC? Base on my research the closest maybe the 86-89 TRX200SX ...5 speed, auto clutch....Can anyone confirm this ?? Love to get this thing together and back on the trail. This motor is available on eBay running but at a hefty price....but totally worth it to revive an old Fat Cat if its possible

Old 01-20-2022, 03:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Just Googled it, and that engine looks a lot like all the circa 200cc "Honda clones" being made by Chinese motorcycle and ATV makers at the moment. Unless you must have a Honda, I bet you will find lots of those Chinese engines in breakers yards, and brand new on eBay or Ali Express. Don't know the TRX200SX but the 1986 200ES was a different motor to that, with a distinctive cover, for the pick up for the ignition timing, sticking out of the head.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply! ... I actually bought a (Amazon)Chinese 200 cc motor based on the dimensions of the motor mounts it looked like a perfect fit...Once I received the motor it was way off...I would of had to cut and replace all mounts. At this point I do not want to go that route but eventually I may need to...

Old 02-27-2022, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default UPDATE!!Fat Cat motor swap complete!!

Hello all, I posted a while back about finding a motor to swap into an 87 Fat Cat I purchased without one...... After some research I purchased a good running 86 honda 200sx off of craigslist. The swap was almost easy since I had the running donor. I only had to source a few parts.....Upper motor mount, insulator from SX carb to head to make it line up properly with FC air box(lucky find on eBay) I had to cut and weld the FC exhaust also. Runs and drives sweet! I would like to do new bearings but my rear axle is stuck...Anyone have any suggestions?

Pretty clean for 3 years old

Nice but well used didn't drive great but decent price for what I needed

This was almost the swap stopping point....Not available other than in Bone Yards. I got lucky on eBay.

Runs great in the snow!