General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

ATV vs SxS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV vs SxS

How would you rate a ATV vs SxS as far as off road capability? I'm talking a Polaris Razr or similar and a 4wd trail/utility atv w/4 wheel Ind Suspension.
The SxS is obviously going to be more comfortable and safer but I'm talking about having to turn around vs keep going down the trail?

How often is the width/weight and inability to shift your weight forward/back an issue?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

ATV advantages: couple more inches of ground clearance than a trail width RZR. Needed in rocks, ruts, mud, and snow. Lighter than a RZR. You can influence a quad more with body weight and your body is centered on a quad unlike the RZR where you sit on the left side. Shorter wheelbase on the quad makes it easier to maneuver in tight trees. You have to take turns wider in a RZR.

RZR advantages: Seats two. Lower center of gravity makes it easy to rail around corners. Longer wheelbase is great for climbing and descending hills. Can get a roof for a RZR is you are often riding in bad weather.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

depends on application and preference. how many people involved, sense of freedom for "passengers" or other riders if they want to drive a machine AND you want to drive a machine. some folks are happy being a passenger, others want to be in control when you want to be in control. then there's the issue of hauling the machine(s) to your riding place. do you have a toy hauler big enough or a trailer big enough to haul quads or a SxS or both? trailers are a necessary evil but can be easily remedied by the choice of machine(s) you purchase. the subject of budget can also influence your decision unless you're not worried about that which ain't necessarily a bad thing. it all depends on applicability and personal preference.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer

Yea, I have an ATV....Just bought it(2014 Honda Rincon). I like that I can load it in the back of the truck and not need a trailer.
My buddy who lives near Windrock now is hammering me for getting a ATV instead of SxS. I see the advantages, but for where I live right now, there aren't a lot of trails wide enough for SxSs...and the ones that are could just as easily be ridden on in a 4wd pickup. We don't have rocks(unfortunatly).

I'm an experienced ATV/Motocross rider...I've been in the rocks - and I'm looking forward to seeing his frustration

If I lived up where he does, I might have gotten of SxS...I do appreciate their advantages. I just wish my buddy would appreciate that there are disadvatages as well.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Here's an example of what a RZR can do on the rocks. Guy we ride with sometimes. Has good skid plates. The ledge was about 5' hish and close to 60 degrees angle. None of us on quads were able to get up this bump.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I see there is a way around that rock that a ATV could navigate.
So, if what I'm reading is correct - when speaking of trail performance only(not safety/comfort/space etc...) The SxSs are better at hills due to the longer wheelbase and lower GG....but in all other ways, an ATV is going to be more capable.
It does stand to reason because I can use "body-english" on the ATV as well as it being small enough to allow me to get off and help it through a tough area.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only side by side I rode was a 700 Rhino and it sure feels clumsy compared to a ATV.
It felt less comfortable If you look it up the XP ATV has the same front 9" suspension and longer rear 10.25" travel then the rzr 9.5".
Also most side by side share the same basic suspension and drive train as the ATV line but the SXS will always have that huge weigh disadvantage.

I just like the feeling of driving on something not in something, and your sure stay drier on a ATV vs in a SXS on some water crossings.
We also have many trail sections that a ATV barley squeezes through let alone a SXS.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Nondem
I see there is a way around that rock that a ATV could navigate.
So, if what I'm reading is correct - when speaking of trail performance only(not safety/comfort/space etc...) The SxSs are better at hills due to the longer wheelbase and lower GG....but in all other ways, an ATV is going to be more capable.
It does stand to reason because I can use "body-english" on the ATV as well as it being small enough to allow me to get off and help it through a tough area.
To further complicate your choices a 2 person quad like the Polaris Touring, Polaris Sportsman X2, and Can-Am Outlander Max all have longer wheelbases than single rider machines but don't lose as much ground clearance as the RZR. Wheelbase is more or less between a single rider machine and a RZR. I tried that bump on a Sportsman X2 but could not do it. Wasn't as willing to slam it around as the guy with the RZR.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Rarely do I run into a situation a SXS is better than ATV. Biggest thing for me, SXS carries a lot of fuel, and a lot of stuff. Definitely has its place. Buy them both

Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well.. hmmm. Some of us have both and will tell you straight up, there are times and advantages to both. If I am taking a family member with me, say my two grandsons, the SxS is the way to go. But if you have ever got one stuck or hung up, then you will curse your decision to drive versus ride. I enjoy my ATV, but there are times when I just want to drive in comfort. I don't have to work as hard in the SxS and as I get older and start feeling those aches and pains I earned in my younger days,.. well I reach for it more and more. If the trails will take it, I am in my SxS. But I do a lot of work with both too. Narrow trails, and I am on the ATV. One thing I have noticed though.... many SxS owners tend to be a little braver and take more chances in the SxS than they would on an ATV. Probably the roll cage. I used to plow snow with my ATV and I'd be worn out after a couple hours. I can plow all day in the SxS. So which is better? Who knows. It depends.