General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Need input on SxS purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on SxS purchase

We are looking into getting some kind of SxS to use on our dairy farm. We will most likely buy a used on, can't afford a new one. We are going to sell the Honda Rubicon we have now. A 500 to 600cc will be big enough.

I just don't know what brand would be the best for us. This machine will be used daily and for work, not just driving around. I know the Polaris Ranger seems to be pretty popular around here and you see alot of them advertised. I never have been a Polaris fan. Used to have a Polaris atv years ago and had all kinds of problems with it. That has been many years ago so I am sure things may have changed alot with their reliability.

I am a Honda fan myself but I don't like the new Big Red. For one, it only has a 3 speed automatic transmission with no low. That is the biggest one for us. We will be using it to pull stuff on occasion. Two, you don't see too many used ones out there. For those of you with Big Reds that use it for work, how does the transmission do? Are you wishing it had a low range?

We want something that will hold up and I am not sure what would be the best. Of course, the bigger the bed, the better.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The 500 cc Ranger was pretty bulletproof. I had the engine in a Sportsman X2 500 quad and it was amazing what that would pull in low range. Only had to replace the battery after 6 years or so, the belt for good measure, and one of the bearings. This was 3600 miles of harsh New England rocks, mud, dirt, snow, and deep water crossings. I did manage to damage it going pretty fast and falling off a ledge only to hit a large rock right under the transmission. I don't think any quad would have rolled away unharmed by that. So, you might try a Ranger 500. Was thinking of the Kawasaki Mule but that would give you a pretty harsh ride with the beam axle in the back.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is going to be hard to beat a Rhino for durability day after day. Also a better chance you will find a decent used one at an acceptable price point as they have been around for a while.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you loud and clear on your needs and wants for a WORK vehicle. First let me answer a few questions about the big red. They use the same engine as the RINCON and tranny that you have on your Rubicon. I don't have to tell you anything about the bulletproof nature of that transmission compared to a CVT. Kubota has a brute machine with a diesel, but they are going to be pricey. The Big Red is butt ugly, but is a worthy worker. A used Yamaha Rhino may be a pretty good pick, although you may want to install beefier axles (Gorilla axles) if you tow a lot. Honda came out with a new machine this year, basically a sexier model based on the proven engine and tranny you are familiar with. Like you, I am not a fan of anything Polaris, or John deere (Made by Polaris) They seem to be overgrown golf carts to me. That Leaves Can-Am. The commander may be an option. My son works in a cycle shop that sells them and the Yamaha and Honda line. They sell a bunch of Can-Ams, but they sell a lot of parts for them too. Which may be an issue. The problem though, as I am told by the sales people is that they are sold as performance sport machines, and buyers drive them in such as way that they want to test that performance at it's limits. If you are like me and can say that I will never see top speed, or drag race the famer next door, you probably will never have the same breakage issues. They are pricey too. The real problem will be finding a used side by side. They are expensive and take years to pay off. So guys don't turn them over as often. YOu probably would have a better chance at getting a sub-compact tractor and get way more capability.