General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

First ride - TeryX

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride - TeryX

My wife and I went out yesterday for the first time. We rode or drove, I guess is a better description, for 4 hours. We went to one of our favorite places to ride in the El Paso desert, actually Santa Teresa, NM. The break in time is 20 hrs and you are not supposed to go over 1/2 throttle for the break in time. I was real easy on it for the first 2 hours and never had it over 25 MPH. I did start kicking it a bit the last hour, but nothing sustained. It was about 80 degrees in the desert, which is very cool compared with the 100 - 110's in the summer.

It's fun to drive, however it is much slower than I am use to in the desert. You can do some sliding around, but nothing as fast as a quad or dirt bike! The good news is that you are in the shade the whole time and you don't get tired. The amount of stuff you can carry is ridiculous, large cooler, spare gas, tools and we still had lots of room for more stuff! It will really be great for long rides, like at Glamis, where you can ride for hours and hours.

On the down side, the top is really noise, it vibrates at speed and traps heat and engine noise. I think the answer will be a 90% UV block material like my shade cloth, which will shade you and also let air circulate and will not trap in the noise. The OEM tires are defiantly not what you want in the desert sand or dunes. The power, as far as I can tell, was ample. I don't think I want to go over 50 in a vehicle that has as short a wheelbase as a side by side anyway!

What I am I going to change, Tires & Wheels, save the OEM's for rock crawling. Some kind of a soft breathing removable top. Maybe a air vent system to move the hot engine air out of the cab area!

It was a good decision for me at 62 with all kinds of spine and neck problems to move into something a bit easier on my beat up old body! I love the desert and dunes and I never want to give them up...........