General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Where can a utv be driven?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can a utv be driven?

I am considering buying a SxS to use mainly for recreational use where I vacation. I was wondering where they can be riden though for I don't have much land of my own to ride it on. I know in my area they can't be driven on marked atv trails. But was wondering if anyone knows if they can be driven on paved side roads and or county owned logging trails where atv's cannot be driven but trucks can? Any info would be extreamly heplful. Thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

In northern Utah and central Utah there are numerous "ATV only" trails that are off limits to SxS vehicles. There are 50" wide gates, signs that say "No Vehicles Over 50 Inches Wide", and signs that say "No Side By Sides" and have a picture of a Yamaha Rhino on them. SxSs are ok in the dunes and open desert around here. We can ride ATVs and SxSs on specifically marked paved roads as well, but the SxSs in general are not allowed on any more paved or forest service roads than an ATV is. In other words, I have never seen any place where you could legally ride a SxS, where you could not legally ride an ATV. What makes the difference on some forest service roads is whether or not the vehicle is registered for "off road", or whether it has a license plate. I have encountered forest service dirt roads that have had signs that specifically say "no ATVs", especially in national parks. The best case scenario is the way it is with my KTM dirt bike, ... it is 50 state legal on the highway, has a license plate, and I ride it to work and back as a daily driver, and on any trail I want to, anywhere I want to. Too bad ATVs or SxSs are not the same.

DV

Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

i have of soe people takeing mules and rangers and makeing them street legal. anyone know how to do it besides a slow moving vechile ?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

so what your saying is as long as you have the triangle on the back and keep your speed under 25 you can ride them on paved roads?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Trailblazer

thats what some people do here in texas with the mules.