General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

UTV or Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTV or Jeep?

Hey ya'll, I'm a newb to recreational 4x4 riding, and would like to get some opinions. I'm a long time motorcycle rider, and 4x4 on-road driver (think snow...), but relatively new to off-road. We moved to the desert a year ago, and I'm itching to do more exploration on the endless dirt roads out here. I've been beating the snot out of the family Surburban, and that's got to stop before I completely destroy it. So I'm trying to figure out what to buy.

My options at this point seem to be a UTV, or a Jeep of some sort. I can get a decent used jeep in the $5K to $10K range. A new UTV is going to set me back some $15K to get it set up the way I want it (full roll cage, and rear seat.) Now I know the UTV will be a ball in the back county. But there are also places that I'd have to trailer it to. Plus it has no heat, and no AC.

If I get a Jeep, I can drive anywhere in the southwest, and use it on the trails when I get there. And I can throw the family in it and ride in comfort, better wind protection, and carry more gear. I guess my question is which is the better vehicle for desert exploration? Which will be more reliable? I'll be riding most of the time by myself. I know that's probably a no-no, but that's just how it is.

Any comments, opinions, and other insights would be welcome. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default UTV or Jeep?

thats whats i was thinking also. a new ranger crew is 12 out the door and a used jeep is the same.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default UTV or Jeep?

I've got both right now (see photo page), and we are thinking that we have to trim down the toys in the garage a little bit. We have within $5000 as much invested in our Rhino as we do our Jeep (and its a nice Jeep too), but the Rhino is the one we are going to sell. It gets used the least, is the least reliable, and has the least power. If I have to chose between the Rhino and the Grizzly 700, ... the Grizzly 700 wins. If I have to chose between the Rhino and my KTM dirt bike, ... the KTM dirt bike wins. If I have to chose between the Rhino and the Jeep, ... the Jeep wins. Want to by a super nice long travel Rhino? PM me if interested.

3TV

Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default UTV or Jeep?

If you are only going out on trails, go with the jeep. But if you plan on ever going through the dunes, the UTV will make it easier.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default UTV or Jeep?

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input. Sounds like a jeep might be more practical for me.
I have an acquaintance with a Rhino who rides it in the dunes as well and says it's a blast. That sounds appealing, but not a real high priority for me.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Range Rover
Default UTV or Jeep?

I'm thinking of looking at a Ranger, Rhino or 1 of the Offshore type SxS so I'll be asking lots of questions around here.

My needs for a unit are for 2 Up riding, to haul firewood and tow my Ice sled around up here, I'm getting too old/tired to do it my-self now days. So ease of use, comfort & utility are high on my list of wants/needs. I'd prefer something with EFI and a 500cc would be enough for me, better fuel economy. I've also thought about a Polaris x2 type with some hauling room but also good for 2 up and it is easy on turf, another important feature to me.