General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Street Legal Rhino?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal Rhino?

Does anyone know if you can street leagalize a rhino for California?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

No way no how.
In Arizona, all you need to do is slap on a rearview mirror, and that's pretty much it.

In California, everything is regulated to death, so most places won't let you even ride the Rhino. There are several trails up in the local mountains (San Bernardino) which have gates 49 inches apart to prevent anything but an ATV from going through. So you can imagine how quickly you'd get busted for running one on a public street...

Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A buddy of mine has his Golf cart registered for street legal. The DMV states that you have to have a VIN number and all the necessary accessories to drive on the road. So I will know for sure real soon as I am getting one and am going to hook up a nice LOUD horn and some blinkers and heading to the DMV with my Yamaha Golfcart....(RHINO that is).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

The EZGO St 4X4 Can be licensed by the DMV for Street use in Calif.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

So I'm curious, what needs to be done?

Tires street legal?
Open rear differential?
Turn signals, mirrors?

Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Turn Signals and Windsheild Kit. The EZGO's were designed to SAE Standards Low Speed Vehical Standards unlike the Rhino.
NHTSA LVS Rules

Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Low Speed, its still as fast as a golf cart that I see registered all over the place. I seen a Rhino the other day that had plates on it and it was from Arizona, All he had to do was get a mirror kit. We in Calif. have lots of rediculous rules. The DMV did however ask me to bring it in so I will do this after I get a set of street tires, windshield, blinkers and a horn kit.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been driving my Rhino on California streets for about 2 months. I started by using it to drag the Baseball Diamonds for Little League, so I drove on the street to get the the Baseball Park. On the first trip I saw the CHP and he wave to me and my son as we were stop at an intersection. Its a 1/2 mile trip. After that I started taking longer trip to my ranch, which is 13 miles away and 4 1/2 are dirt. The longest trip I've done is 30 miles away to the next town.

I have Mirrors (2), Horn, Windshield, Roof, Turn Signals, ITP Wheels, Black Rhino CDI, slightly modified exhaust, Dash Speedo upgrade, Street Insurance, Off Road Sticker, and I have a SMV (slow moving vehicle) Sticker (like a tracker) on the rear. I"ve been seen by the Sherriff and CHP several times and never stopped. I drive only back streets and if someone is behind me I let them pass, even though my Rhinoe can do 50 MHP with the mods. I only drive the busy main streets when I have to.

I've tried to register the Rhino for street twice at two different DMV, first as Golf Cart, and then as a Special Construction Vehical. Both times the person didn't understand what it was and it started to get deep so I had them void the transaction, but learned a few things. If you say its a Golf Cart don't tell them it goes over 15 MPH, and to get a special Construction Lic you must send a photo and Application to Sacramento with $16 and wait for a determination. For now, its working with SMV sticker because I live in a rural area and I drive tractor and such on the same streets.

My Rhino has become the Team Mascot as I now carry all the equipment to all the Games and I drive on the field and lawns and it parked by the dugout during the games. Its also the Plain Green (Agi/Park Look) and looks very offical on the road, but all the ATV Folks know what it is and are wondering how I get away with it.

I don't look like I'm breaking any laws, and actually I'm not, that's what the SMV Stickers are for, to move equipment for one field to another or to move equipment from one job site to another.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

I know you can make a Yamaha Rhino street legal in Florida, Georgia, and New York, but does anyone know about West virginia?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

here in arizona anything with wheels can be licensed, all thats required is horn, mirror, licence plate lite and proof of insurance , dot tires are not require here. no windsheild but must wear eye portection.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Rhino?