General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

bush hog utv 4x4(side by side)

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bush hog utv 4x4(side by side)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Helo to everyone on ths forum. this is great feedback in making a decision on what utv to buy or not to buy. If anyone has the info on Bush Hog 4x4 utvs,it would be of great assistance. Your opionions and feedback take the guess work out of making the right or wrong purchase. Keep up the good dialogue!!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Bush Hog 4400 4x4 purchased new about 5 months ago and it now has about 40 hours on it. I have had no problems at all and am very happy with the machine. It is used for recreational riding and hunting transportation and some work hauling, towing, and spraying.
I compared to Deere Gator, Arctic Cat, Rhino, and Mule before buying. My opinions are that this unit may not be as sporty looking as the others, but seems to be built very sturdy and is tough as can be.
I chose the Bush Hog because: for the base price, it included a heavy brush guard, tail lights, 2" receiver hitch in both front and back, and I like the poly bed that won't have to have a liner installed extra.
The bench seat may not be as secure feeling, but it seats 3 across with seat belts for safety. In my situation, it works better than the bucket seats and console that the others have, (except Mule) as I have a disabled son who can enjoy steering the UTV while I sit in the middle and work the pedals safely. I also have found the bench seat handy to enter the drivers seat from either side when using it for work on both sides of the vehicle, and getting in and out.
The front hitch is great for pushing wagons into parking space instead of backing. You can see clearly right where you are putting the wagon or trailer.
The only problem I have found is not finding very many accessories made specifically for the Bush Hog at this time, by side line companies, although Bush Hog themselves do have a nice line available.
The under hood storage is great for tow ropes, hitch pins, and tools.
So far, I am very happy with the machine, and my dealer support.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just want to weigh in with one more thought to add to my last entry.
Most Bush Hog brand utv's and atv's are sold as a side line by agricultural machinery dealers, as Bush Hog is a well known long time maker of farm equipment. Thus, when you are needing repair or satisfaction with a problem, I have found an agricultural machinery dealer is more apt to go the extra mile to keep a customer happy and get the machine repaired ASAP as they are used to dealing with customers who MUST have their equipment back on the job AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I think if you walk into an ag dealership, you will find a different atmosphere towards the customer than a motor-sport dealership, because the stakes of losing or keeping a customer is so much higher. They are used to dealing with customers who purchase pieces of equipment that cost over 1/4 Million Dollars for a tractor or combine just to start with. They want to keep every customer they can. And there is something to be said for the agricultural mindset when it comes to the customer.
The Bush Hog utv is designed more for work than play, but depending on your needs, it might be just what you want.
I mention this as I grew up on a farm and have dealt with farm equipment dealers all my life, and I now work for one...(but not a Bush Hog dealer). I also have dealt with motorcycle dealers and there is no comparison in my mind to how you are treated.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thank you for your reply. I spent most of a day at a Bush Hog dealer. I was able to test drive a unit and was impressed by its performance. The delaer was very helpful and i asked him to reply within a week as i wanted a few additions(ie winch and cab plus heater). That was about two weeks ago and so far no reply.
I presume he is a busy person but if no reponse soon, i will look elsewhere. His main business is mowers etc. for golf courses.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would suggest going on the Bush Hog website and sending them an e-mail letting them know that you need a reply to your inquiry. I had a question on a function on my UTV right after I purchased it and I e-mailed Bush Hog to ask if it was normal, and within a few hours, I had a call from my dealer and he said the area rep had contacted them about my question and that it was just an adjustment that they could perform any time I wanted them to. Of course this was one of those small town agricultural dealers I spoke of.
When I took the UTV in for the adjustment, I pointed out a small pull in the the side of the seat cushion and told them I would be happy if they wanted to apply a small amount to "goo" to it to keep it from getting worse. When I picked it up, the dealer told me they had a new seat cushion on order for me as the Bush Hog rep told them to replace it now while under warranty as they wanted it made right.
I hope you get the kind of satisfaction from your dealer that I have received.
I got a call from my dealer two days ago saying Bush Hog had put out another adjustment advisory on making the transmission shift easier and could be done at my convenience, and my seat was there ready for installation.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default bush hog utv 4x4(side by side)"></title><script src=

I am considering the purchase of the Bush Hog TH440. It is the Trail Hunter that is narrow enough to fit in the back of a PU Truck. A dealer was trying to steer me away to a Kubota that is more expensive. He said that the Honda 20HP is hard to start in cold weather. Do you have any comment? I like the price and the options. I will use it primarily on a hunting lease.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,
It's me again after a year with the Bush Hog Trail Hand 4400.
It has proven to be one tough machine, as I thought it would.
The only thing I could criticize is that the running gear is a bit noisy, although I am starting to suspect a new belt might help that.
I was talked into my first Sunday afternoon of "mudding" in a river-bottoms area, that is full of miles of trails and mud holes and creek crossings and downed trees and standing timber to manuver around. I wasn't sure this machine would handle some of the stuff when I arrived. But, I and the other "regulars" were very impressed at what the Bush Hog could do.
We went into and climbed out of some pretty deep, steep, creeks and some pretty rough mud holes and never even had a bit of problem handling any of it.
I couldn't quite go as fast as some of the narrower machines as I had to size up some of the trail choices for width between trees, and I had never been there. But I could just go OVER an obstacle if I had to, including small trees! I even had to tow rope a couple of others out of problems.
I had no problem with starting last winter, and I used it every few days. It will need to be kept in good tune and does need some choke all year round, and those with EFI do tend to start easier, but it is not a problem.
I don't think there is another stock UTV that can outpull this machine.
There are some companies that are starting to make some accessories for the Bush Hog, (mammothskins.com has some nice soft cabs)
The brand new unit on the Bush Hog website appears to have a nice front hood design update as far as looks.
I still believe the Bush Hog is as tough as any out there, and although not as sporty looking, I think the value is there.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased a Trail Hand 4400. It is used with only 50 hours. I had it out for the first time a couple of weekends ago. About 30 minutes into driving it, I begin to hear a grinding sound in the front left. I was thinking the worse of course. I took it back to the dealer and discovered it was the breaks grinding and not the front gears box. They checked with Bush Hog and said the fix was an adjustment. I picked it up and took it out again this weekend and 10 minutes into driving it, the noise came back, not as bad. I could hit the breaks and it wouls go away for a period of time, but always coming back.

Does anyone have any history with this problem?

I'm new at owning a UTV, so I'm learning what it takes to take care of one. How ofter do I need to grease the joints?

I did a lot of research and think the Bush Hog is a great UTV. The ride is better on some of the ranch roads than my Suburban.

I'm just trying to figure our is this is a common problem and if there is a more permanent fix.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a bush hog model 4430 and before i left the dealer they replaced the brake seal o rings with a new style. from what it sounds like that might be your problem. only took them about 30 min. to do. they said some units made the noise and some did not. not to take any chances they changed them out anyway...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs down Bush Hog brake design flaws

I had the same problem the braking system on my 2007 Trailhand 4400 it is a really shoddy design but that was not my only problem. Something loosened up on the front suspension and started grinding against the inside of the front wheels. I though it was the brakes but it was not so that was another unexpected defect.

I also had problems with the poorly designed parking brake release mechanism that causes the brake cable to be over stretched and need constant adjustment. The brake pads wore out after a short time because they are constantly rubbing and the replacement price for the new pads was outrageous. I'm trying to find an OEM version because I refuse to be ripped off.

One thing it does well is crawl up steep hills but unfortunately there is no engine braking so you have to keep your foot on the brakes all the way down or it will freewheel out of control.

This UTV is just too dangerous to let my wife or friends drive on any hills but is fine on flat ground. The out of alignment position of the foot controls takes some getting used to if you actually sit 3 people on the bench seat.

After market parts are hard to find but a few more are becoming available.

How often you need to grease it depends on how hard you are using it and if its getting wet, once a year should be fine.

Originally Posted by billbex
I just purchased a Trail Hand 4400. It is used with only 50 hours. I had it out for the first time a couple of weekends ago. About 30 minutes into driving it, I begin to hear a grinding sound in the front left. I was thinking the worse of course. I took it back to the dealer and discovered it was the breaks grinding and not the front gears box. They checked with Bush Hog and said the fix was an adjustment. I picked it up and took it out again this weekend and 10 minutes into driving it, the noise came back, not as bad. I could hit the breaks and it wouls go away for a period of time, but always coming back.

Does anyone have any history with this problem?

I'm new at owning a UTV, so I'm learning what it takes to take care of one. How ofter do I need to grease the joints?

I did a lot of research and think the Bush Hog is a great UTV. The ride is better on some of the ranch roads than my Suburban.

I'm just trying to figure our is this is a common problem and if there is a more permanent fix.