General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Prowler or Ranger XP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prowler or Ranger XP?

I'm planning to purchase in the next couple days and still can't decide between the Prowler and Ranger.
I'm looking at an 06 Prowler and an 07 Ranger XP.
I like the looks of the Prowler better, and the suspension specs look better on paper. I'm concerned by the reliability problems I've read about, but there is not all that much info available.
I like the engine package better in the Ranger, and higher tow/load capacities. I prefer double a-arm suspension over the front struts, but I can probably live with the struts. I like the ability to unlock the rear diff as I will be using this around the house and prefer not to tear up the lawn so much. Also alot more accessories available for the Ranger.

Top speed is about the same between the 2.

I will be using this around the property, and hunting and fetching dogs in the woods. I will put a snow plow on it, and would like to hook a box blade to the rear occasionally.

Anyone experienced with which one is better in the mud? plowing snow?

How about the downhill engine braking problems I've heard about on the Ranger?

Transmission and rear end going to hold up in the Prowler?

Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I personally would take the Ranger over the prowler. If you have any intentions of useing it for work the ranger does a great job at plowing and pulling and all. I love those things in the woods too. Just my 2 cents worth. I have not sen anything major as far as problems with them either. As for the prowler, its almost to early to tell. They are not being produced in a big volume so the number of owners out there is low still yet. There is another thread with some debate between me and bill2099 i think is the name. He has one so maybe he can pop in on this thread and give you the info. I have alot of seat time in the prowler and it just isn't for me. In no way am I downing it but it seems to be geared a little more toward play than work. It will however out work a Rhino with no problem. The ranger and the prowler will both out run it. The other thread is Rhino vs Ranger....Which one to buy

Old 09-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

i would personally take the prowler over the ranger, if you have any intensions of work the prowler does a great job of plowing and pulling plus it looks good. i choose the prowler not because it was $1500 lower priced, but style , single cylinder has more low end torque than twin cylinders, i also liked the buckets better than the bench seat, i also like where the shift lever is, the only thing that i wished the prowler had that the ranger has is one wheel drive for the street, the prowlers rear is locked all the time and when driving on the street one wheel will chatter when turning unless their's loose gravel on the road. the ranger to me looks and drives like a farm utility vehicle, you also owe it to yourself to look at the joyner 650 commado's' alot of ruv their for a low price $7995 made here in arizona, i personally wouldn't even consider a rhino, the 660 has a problem burning oil and also has a design problem with the transmission, not to mention the problem with them rolling over, take all this with a grain of salt and buy what you feel comfortable with

Old 09-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I picked up the Prowler this morning, added a Warn winch and still paid less than the Ranger. I liked both, just went for the sportier of the 2.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

i also looked at prowler because of price then i looked at quality and there was the difference yes the prowler is sporty and fast and wide. but when i looked at the tooth picks they had for drive shafts. the ranger had shaft twice as big as prowlers and ranger has a true dana rear. the ranger has a three person seat and the xp camo what more can i say.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe something a little more manly than a Prowler or a Ranger would work:

Manly Side by Side Photo 1

Manly Side by Side Photo 2

Manly Side by Side Photo 3

About 6500 USD out the door.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I've got one of those, an 81 J20. Not quite as big as the one in the picture but it gets me where I want to go.
http://home.comcast.net/~jaybr/J20-01.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~jaybr/j20.jpg

Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

Neither, I would get a Rhino. If you got woods you think the other 2 will fit through get a Jeep Wrangler.

My 2 cents...

Old 09-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

It appears there is no one trick pony in the side by side market. It seems like allot of buying decisions are made on how 'cool' the thing looks and whatever is underneath that sporty plastic sadly gets the back seat.

I dunno, Ranger Prowler Rhino Ranger. Many potential buyers have a hard time justifying any of them. Somehow 10K just does not seem right for a four wheel drive golf cart that carries a whopping 6 month warranty. Maybe if these things had a four cylinder 150-200hp injected with a turbo or supercharger like their PWC siblings, the price tag would be a little easier to digest.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on your new purchase JayBR! - You have had that Prowler for almost a week now. Please share your thoughts and evaluation of the new machine with us - Likes, dislikes, etc.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Prowler or Ranger XP?