General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Carter Talon Question's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carter Talon Question's

I have read allot of posts here and love the information you get from this site.

1) On my Carter DLX150IIR is there a way to get any info from my Kart from the serial number? *LAGBTRFU045005062*

2) Are the shocks that most of the Clone Karts running like my Talon to be considered Hi-end, Med, or Low end, in general?

3) Any chance I have the Bigger Valves in my engine, or no way.

4) Would I need this pipe:

http://www.eastsidems.com/eshopprod_...BUGGY_PIPE.htm

or this pipe:

http://www.eastsidems.com/eshopprod_...349.HP_KIT.htm

for my Talon. The pipe angel looks different and I would like it confirmed as to wich one I need.

If you want to read it, this is information on my Talon gathered from this site and the Carter manual.

*** Carter Brothers DLX150IIR Talon ***

Kart Serial Number *LAGBTRFU045005062* (Located between seat's)

An advanced go anywhere, do anything full suspension kart with, motorcycle engine, reverse gear, dual wheel drive, variable ratio CVT drive system, electric start engine, four wheel hydraulic disc brakes, large knobby tires, dual deep padded bucket seats and many other features.

Safety: Kill switch, automatic fuel shut-off valve, key, reflectors, speed limiter,
Anti-theft ignition key switch, engine serial number, and All-Time Safety Lights.

Dry Weight: 585 lbs. Kart Dimensions: Length - 85" : Width - 53" : Height 57.4"
Gound Clearance: Front: 7" / Rear: 7" Suspension:Front-Dual A-Arm Suspension - Rear-Swing Arm Suspension.
Full four wheel-Shock absorber on each wheel Aluminum Rim's
Head Light: Hi - Lo beam lights Manufactured in China under the supervision of Carter Brothers.
Max Rider Weight: 450 lbs Starter and Ignition: Electric Start (Battery: 12 Volt)
Transmission: Variable Ratio Automatic CVT Turn signals
Max Speed: 36 M.P.H. top speed Rear View Mirror
Trailer Hitch Parking Break with Break Light.
Color: Red Horn
12 Volt Power Outlet Fenders on all wheels
Braking System: 4-Wheel Hydraulic Disc Tires and Wheels: Front 19" x 7" x 8" Cleated
Frame: 12 Gauge Steel, Baked on Powder Paint Rear 22" x 10" x 10" Cleated
Distance from Seat to Pedals: 36" to 41" Drive System: Positive Traction Rear Axle 2 Wheel Drive
Chain - (KMC) O-Ring Chain

Engine:
150cc four stroke 12.5 HP engine @ 7,500 RPM's Lubrication Style: Pressure / Splash
Bore x Stroke - 57.4mm x 57.8mm Displacement - 149.6 cm3
Compression ratio - 9.2:1 Output Power 7.4Kw/7500rpm
Spark plug - C7HSA(NGK) set gap 0.6-0.7 Maximum Torpue - 13/550 foot lbs/r/min
Throttle: Foot with adjustable speed restrictor Fuel Brand: 90 + Octane (a must for max performance)
Block Type - GY6 (Standard) AirBox Type - BN (Standard)
Carter Manual recomends (30 Oz) SAE-10W/40 Lubricateing Oil.
Carb Type - 24mm standard (KF,CB24J)(K F standard of Japan)(Keihin)(Auto Choke).

This Carter Brother's DLX 150IIR Talon Go-Kart. It's frame is built in China, by the same people who make the other "Clone Karts" like the Dazon Raider, KPX Xterro, the Kasea AB150RII, the Twister Hammerhead, and the Blade. Each brand then puts their own version of a CVT/gearcase with different ratio's. They will also put their own piston/head combinations.

Possible Upgrades

The Dazon company uses a cylinder head on the YerfDog with a superior design. NOTE: The Dazon head is approxamately 1/2" taller then the Yerf and KPX cylinder head wich means the cam chain and head studs are 1/2" too short. The combustion chamber is semi-hemispherical versus the KPX's and Yearf's heart-shaped chamber. The Dazon head can be purchased for about $172.00. They also use the bigger valves (like the Yerf-Dog) for better top end breathing. The bigger valves can be purchased for about $25.00 each. Some aditional porting can be done to reshape the ledges around the guides, small amount off the roof to help straighten the air path, and matching the intake manifold size and spacer size to wich ever is greater. I am not sure if a work around for this issue has been found? I dont think I could pull this off in my Talon but I would love to.

The Yerf-Dog cylinder head and larger valves (.100" larger than stock) to give you a performance increase.

The Carter Brothers XTV carburetor has a larger venturi diameter of 28mm, insted of the 24mm standard carb.
Carburator is $90.00, and the intake manifold is $15.00.
Note: The metal XTV manifold tube puts the carb about 1 inch further back. This points right at the upper cross brace on the swing arm with only about 3/4 to 1 inch space between the carb and the brace.
The 2005 models may have a bigger, better fitting carb option soon?

An updated CDI unit, and some new ignition parts ... coil?
Not sure where to get a good updated CDI yet. Stu from Blade confirmed that the New KPX karts (Hulk,Xterro and Teranex) have one? New jet size went up 0.002 inches. Sounds like from 108 to 110 but not sure.

New Tail Pipe and Air filter
eather this one:
http://www.eastsidems.com/eshopprod_...349.HP_KIT.htm
or this one
http://www.eastsidems.com/eshopprod_...BUGGY_PIPE.htm
still not sure what is right for my Talon yet, the pipes look different.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont have any help for you but will be watching responses to your questions with intrest. I want to buy a kart just dont know which one yet. Leaning toward the blade or carter talon, both single seat 150cc. If you have any advice it would be appreciated, Charlie

Old 05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Read this 32 page long thread, it may help you make a decision.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...24/STARTPAGE=1

I got some good info from it.

If I had to do it over again, I would be looking at the new kid on the block the "Timberwolf 150 Dune Buggy".
He looks like a runner to me ?

http://www.kpii.com.tw/dunebuggy_timberwolf110150.htm

I would like to see a video of him in action!

Go Karts Rule !!!

Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

On second thought though, all his parts are different and you might miss out on the legendary hord of third party upgrade parts yet to come? I would love to see more ready make kits made for this engine.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy Carter 150cc go kart

I'm not sure if anyone can help me and so far have been unable to find where I can post a question. I have a Carter 150cc Talon go kart and it ran out of gas. After filling with gas, I'm unable to start it. Do you have any idea what I should check to solve the problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

First try cleaning the carb. Take it off the buggy, take the bowl off, take out the jets one by one and spray carb cleaner through them. Replace the inline fuel filter. That should be a good start.

Not to act like too much of a troll, but Buggynews.com is where the most info is available regarding your buggy. Tell 'em Sockman sent ya!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just aquired a dlx150IIr which has not been started for at least 4-5 years. The prior owner said the clutch needed replaced. I'm looking for a reliable merchant to buy replacement parts and any advice on getting this buggy up and running. Are there any secrets to this brand beside a good cleaning of the old gas and grim.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by thegringo
I just aquired a dlx150IIr which has not been started for at least 4-5 years. The prior owner said the clutch needed replaced. I'm looking for a reliable merchant to buy replacement parts and any advice on getting this buggy up and running. Are there any secrets to this brand beside a good cleaning of the old gas and grim.
I would thoroughly go through the carb with carb cleaner. Spray it through every jet or opening until you see it come out the other end. Check the filters. Change the oil. Does it turn over ok?

Take the cover off the left side of the engine. That is the CVT. There is a variator on the front half, the clutch is the back half, with a belt that runs between the two. You'll need an impact in all likelihood to get the clutch off.

Mcdonoughpowersports.com will have the parts and service you need. Eric is the owner, very knowledgeable and helpful. Will get you up and running in no time.

Get yourself registered at buggynews.com and there is all kinds of help there for those chinese buggies. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a talon DLX150IIR and the carb was unhooked i need a diagram of how to hook it back up

Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chrisgo
i have a talon DLX150IIR and the carb was unhooked i need a diagram of how to hook it back up
Can you be a little more specific? There is an electric choke that mounts to it, but it only has two wires coming off of that. Otherwise you have the fuel line, and then possibly a vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Carter Talon Question's