General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

I'm looking for a 4x4 utility side by side. I've looked at them all, but would like to here from people who have some seat time. here are some of my thoughts, are they accurate?

1. Kubota UTV: tractor like toughness, high torque diesel engine, expensive

2. Polaris Ranger: new model is fast with losts of ground clearance, pallet sized cargo box, belt drive
transmition, low torque engine.

3. Kawasaki mule: one of the originals, low speed

4. Yamaha Rhino: fast, narrow, sporty, can double as a trail machine for hunting and camping, lightest duty for work, low towing and hauling capacity.

5. John Deere Gator: Pricey, heavy, slow, diesel engine option

6. Bobcat: Heavy, pricey, front loader arm with quickmount attachment plate with aux. hydraulics

Any thoughts?

I'd even considering a Polaris ASL - a compact rubber track loader made by ASV - but I cant find one anywhere.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The 500 HO motor in the Polairs has great low end torque. They also just released a Ranger 4x4 XP with IRS and the 700 EFI powerpant

Old 01-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

well u basically have all the info, so decide what ur gonna do and pick it. the ranger 700 is nice, but it has a touchy throttle that u get used to. id pick the rhino

Old 01-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Most popular in my area are the Mule, Gator, and kabota. Mainly because of dealer support. Gator's for those that bleed green. Mules because they were practically indestructible and at one time the leader of the pack. Now Kabota's are popular in our area because of a great dealer and their larger capacities, etc.

When you are shopping these machines, get one that does the job you want, don't cut corners to save a few bucks.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

i would choose between the ranger 700EFI and the kubota... the kubota has hella engine breaking so watch out when u let off that throttle. the kubota is much slower then ranger... the ranger is a nice machine both for work and for a casual ride.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

The new Ranger specs say it's the 500 HO engine. Where are you guys hearing it's the 700EFI? Polaris website only shows the new Ranger with the 500 HO engine.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

there is the 700EFI out there with IRS and higher ground clearance... do a search online for it

Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

its a limated production (its not going to stop being built, but its not mass produced)

its called the Ranger XP

its the same thing as all the other rangers but it has a 700 EFI motor, its detuned further then what the 4 wheeler engine is, so theres alot of power upgrades you can do to it.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may know this but the mule is also available in a diesel too, but we have a mule 3010 (gas burner) n we have had well over 1000 lbs in the bed n it didnt struggle at all to haul it. Also we have pulled alot of things with ours n it is really strong. My cousin has the new kubota that thing is about the same speed wise as the mule but id say its a lil stronger than the gas mule but i dont know about the diesel but u cant go wrong with hardly any of them. As far as the polaris they pretty much seem all speed to me.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember the top speeds posted by the MFG's are not actual. The polaris ranger 500cc says it tops out at 41mph, and it is fairly close to that......about 37. The kawasaki mule 617cc motor says it tops out at 25mph, BUT it is govnered down. We have one for our ranch and we adjusted the govner and now it runs in the high 30's. The companies govern them down to limit their libalities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat