General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart

I'm handy enough, so I'll probably off the local dealers a decent price and see if they want easy cash. I can fix most of the mechanical stuff, so I'll probably be pro-active and check the conenctions when I first get it. RaptorAZ, are there any AZ Specific forums for lcoal spots to run??

Old 12-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAMTechRC
RaptorAZ, are there any AZ Specific forums for lcoal spots to run??

www.ridingarizona.com is the only Arizona specific one that I know of.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Whelp. I grabbed a neighbor and had him run the XTV wide open and I went side by side him with the Xterro and there was no contest. The XTV had a MUCH higher top end speed. Had to be doing at least 40 while I was stuck in the low 30's somewhere. I want to get a tach so I can see where the Xterro tops out. So the speed difference was confirmed for sure. Not only this, the XTV has tons more low end grunt. Rips the heck out of the ground.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
It sure would be a benefit for all us non-XTV owners to find out if the XTV truly has a larger carburator.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Any XTV owners out there wanna measure the inlet and outlet diameters of their carb's?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Carter pulled through where others have not. An email to the manufacturer got the question answered... you can even see some internal communication to get the answer to me.

So, that clears it up. The XTV does have a larger 28mm carburetor.

Also, I e-mailed the distributor of the Blade carts and asked him if he knew
the size of the carb coming on the 2005 blades. He admitted he didn't yet know
but sounded interested in getting back to me when he finds out. This guy sounds
helpful. He also stated that he will be having carburetors and other parts
available as spare parts after 12/15.

-Steve

Reply from Carter follows:

THANK YOU FOR THE INQUIRY.
YOU ARE CORRECT ABOUT THE CARB IN SIZE AND MODEL. AND YOU CAN BOTH FIND
MOST OF THE JETS AT YOUR LOCAL HONDA DEALER. THE MAIN JET IS CALLED A BUTTON
STYLE MAIN JET AND WAS USED ON THE XR100'S THRU XR200'S IF WE CAN DO
ANYTHING TO ASSIST YOU PLEASE WRITE US BACK. THANKS

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 6:45 AM
To: Chuck Hanson
Subject: FW: Internet Feedback

chuck,
can you help with this one?

Thanks,
Roger
Customer Service
1-800-523-5278

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 11:57 AM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Internet Feedback

I have a carter 1150 XTV. I wanted to know what the size of the keihin
carburetor is. It is Keihin series PTG and has a serial number on it that
says 028[A]RFW. Does the 028 refer to it being a 28mm carburetor?

---End Reply

Old 12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

Wouldn't the single seat carter weigh less than the kpx? This would seem to make at least some difference in performance. Putting an adult or even my kid beside me in the cart can make it feel slower. Also, the carter should be geared different because of the smaller tires, Ive seen the single seat carts with the 18's in the back have much smaller sprockets. What kind of intake does a yerf dog have? the rubber one like mine or the metal one like the carter? I think the yerf has the same type carb as the kpx style but am not sure.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kell
Wouldn't the single seat carter weigh less than the kpx? This would seem to make at least some difference in performance. Putting an adult or even my kid beside me in the cart can make it feel slower. Also, the carter should be geared different because of the smaller tires, Ive seen the single seat carts with the 18's in the back have much smaller sprockets. What kind of intake does a yerf dog have? the rubber one like mine or the metal one like the carter? I think the yerf has the same type carb as the kpx style but am not sure.
Weight: Virtually the same. The carter is built VERY beefy for a single seater and it is HUGE. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I should take a pic of both of them side by side for comparison. Majority of buggys built by TJ on the net claim around 400-440 lbs for the double seater dry. The single seater XTV is 400.

Gearing. Well, unless the engine is running significantly faster by thousands of rpm, the gearing must be higher on the XTV and in a greater amount than just to make up for the 18 inch tire. The XTV must be using it's increased torque to make up for the low end. Rememer, the XTV has a much faster top speed on flat ground.. I was pegged out at top speed in the Xterro, and my neighbor who was even with me for a while just poured on the gas and took off like I was standing still. Carter does advertise a 40 mph top speed. I believe it is at least 40. So, the carter XTV while being faster off the line, and having much more torque on the lower end is ALSO faster at top speed. It has better engine and powertrain performance all around.

The XTV has a much wider rear tire and a much larger contact patch with the ground, yet still spins tire on dirt much faster than the Xterro does off the line.

In short, I love the XTV for the speed and engine performance but I really like the Xterro for it's handling and smoothness over rough terrain. The XTV is a great trail burner while the Xterro handles the bumps and turns with ease. What would be awesome would be putting an XTV engine into an Xterro and getting the best of both worlds.

I have to wonder how much we are loosing in the reverse box as well, which the XTV doesn't have.

If I went with larger tires on the rear of the XTV I still believe I would have good low end and it would be even faster on top. But the speed really isn't needed in that cart for my tastes. Wish the bolt pattern was the same between the two, I'd just swap them to try.

My neighbor is a Auto Mechanic for a high end luxury car dealer in the area. He's played with power toys his entire life and works on Lexus vehicles for a living. He rides motorcross in his free time. Right off the bat he saw the large performance difference and mentioned himself how well the XTV "rips" as he put it. He himself mentioned how easily he was able to surpass me when I was already at top speed. But in the end he was really impressed with both carts for different reasons as am I.

I'm dying to see the inside of the carter head to see the internal differences and see if they mate up with the Xterro or not.

-Steve

Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

I don't think I would like riding without reverse in my neck of the woods. Also, the carter looks very long, like turning around on the trail might be tough. It is very cool looking though, more traditional I guess. That is one long steering column. Not sure that one would fit in the back of my truck (I downloaded a picture of mine in my toyota).

Swapping the engines sounds very doable as long as the output shaft is long enough for the reverse. If it isn't you might be able to swap shafts also. Hmmm, I will have to keep my eye out for a local yerf dog for sale, I have seen them pretty cheap in the area. I could just swap the jugs and heads etc. and re-sell it without losing hardly any money. Like I have time to even ride, let alone work on mine!

Are you saying you like the kpx because it is more agile? corners better or something, or is the suspension softer? I know mine definetly handles more like an atv than a go-cart. Sort of what I imagine a rally car is like on a much slower scale. I know the short wheelbase makes turning at speed fun, I can get my back tires sliding on dry pavement going around our cul-de-sac.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the KPX Xterro is a much better driving machine. It soaks up the bumps, and corners very well. It is more agile, and has longer suspension travel. When you become used to driving the XTV you can go the same places the Xterro does, but you have to use the throttle to kick the back tires out to make the turn.

The XTV gives a bone jarring ride on really rough terrain... even with little pre load dialed in. But man, that engine rips really well and if the trails have only moderate bumps spaced apart it's awesome fun to run with. Amazing that the displacement and compression ratio are the same. Not as fun in the bumpies, with tight quarters. I've had to get out a few times to push backwards, but I'm able to make adjustments in driving so that it doesn't happen again the next time I hit the same corner.

I should try to get some video soon. Be ready for some noise though... the exhaust on my XTV is nearly straight through.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Took some quick pics and added them to the pic page. They are dark due to stormy weather starting here. But, you can compare the XTV to the Xterro side by side.

Basically, they are about the same width at the rear wheels with the XTV squeeking past the xterro just a bit. The front wheels are closer together on the XTV. The overall length of the XTV is probably 6 inches more than the xterro, and the XTV is taller as well. Center section where the rear swing arm meets the cockpit on the XTV is greatly pivoted upwards which makes it easier to clear some types of sharp tall hills and bumps that the Xterro might bottom out on after the front wheels clear.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

hopsterguy, thank's for all the info and the comparison of the two karts.

I called Carter as well today. The XTV's carburator is $90 and the intake is $15. Sounds like this is gonna be the next mod for my KPX's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Could I get you two measure the bolt spacing(on the intake manifolds) between your karts? Maybe even do a clearance visual between the two as well.

Quick Reply: twister hammerhead 150cc go off road go kart