General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Suzuki ltf250 help complete custom

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki ltf250 help complete custom

Hey guys completely new to this site and never really posted for help before but this ltf250 is not entirely a ltf250. What it is is a ltf 250 rear end(from engine back) welded to a hammerhead, or something similar, front end. Pretty awesome. It was done extremely well and looks like it's meant to be... Well almost. BUT I did not build this and picked it up two days ago for only $275! The engine was semi recently rebuilt and bored .40 over and a performance piston installed (so he said). He said it ran but it had a short, or wiring issue of some sort. No help. So first thing I did was pull the wiring harness off and re do all the connections. Plugged her all back up and got the neutral light to come on. After a bit more fiddling and a jump start she fired. And tI my surprise that engine ran like a raped ape. I indeed believe it was recently rebuilt. But now here is where we have the issue. First off battery is dead and no idea if it's good. After addressing some other small issues and going to fire her up again with a jump it wouldn't fire. Cranked like crazy but no fire. Tracked it down to a weak/ hardly any spark. Not the plug it's new. Now this is where I need help. I'm not exactly sure what year this thing is but from what I can tell it's an early 90's. So the weak spark... what do you all think? I'm thinking it's gotta be the ignition coil or the dead battery. Had the jumper cables hooked up and it cranked over just fine but little to no spark. So can a bad battery crank fine on a jump with still no spark. I know electrical systems can be tricky like that. Also would the mikuni carb be the stock one on an early 90's ltf250? Has a little **** (assuming it's the idle?) But not sure. Biggest thing is I need to get this darn thing to spark. Also would headlights not come on with a bad battery? Even if it's running. I know that's a lot but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nick-

Sounds like a cool project. Did you figure out the issue yet? On my LT, the lights don't come on unless I turn the key past the start position. We seem to be in a minority of owners. As I have scoured the web about this quad, I find little in the way of owner posts. Too bad as this thing has a lot of great qualities. I volunteer with the local Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue unit. As the "ATV Unit Head", this will be my SAR quad. I will post some pics as I work though the upgrades. I got mine for free from a buddy at work. Had a dead battery and locked up brakes. Some friends of mine helped dis-assemble, clean and reinstall the Carburetor, petcock and fuel pump. Runs great now. Anyway, please continue to post about you project. Pics would be cool too.