General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

03 outlander overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 outlander overheating

Having an overheating issue with my 400 outlander. I suspected the radiator at first bc it doesn't overheat very often in cold weather and when feeling the radiator the bottom fins stay relatively cool when its overheating. Anyway, being for some god awful reason the radiators are on back log until July I removed mine to try to flush it out. Soaked it in some heavy duty radiator cleaner and flushed it out. To my surprise no evidence of deposits in the fluid. Filled it with hot water and got even heating throughout...good right? Wrong. Put it back in filled, bled and burped the system, same problem. Next stop thermostat, pulled it and replaced it, tested the old one, again good. Whatever maybe it was stuck and messing with it got it working again. Long story short, same issue and not a defective new thermostat. So symptoms: light comes on, bottom of radiator (sometimes early enough that entire radiator) is cool, bottom hose of radiator cold....waterpump maybe? How do I check it without pulling off the face? Of course it could be the temperature sending unit and I'm just chasing my tail, of course I'm not sure how to check that either. Also the fan doesn't kick on, but why would it if the bottom of the radiator is still cool and that's where the sensor is. Regardless I hooked up a switch to manually ground the fan, just spliced into the system so the coolant temperature sensor can still ground it too. Buys me a little more time when I have the fan running but still overheats....well the temp light comes on anyway. Any help would be appreciated.