General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

atv with best 4x4 system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by silverram323
When most bikes have a diff locker on it is really hard to turn, I'm a can-am fan and the visco lock works very well when the driver knows how to drive. It starts out with 3 wheel drive and when it detects wheel speed difference (front) it locks in the fourth wheel till all are turning the same speed again.

can am 2010 Visco-Lok QE - YouTube
Good video. That's much quicker to engage than previous years. My son's 2009 isn't quite as fast to engage as the 2010 in the video. I find it a little "jerky" for lack of a better term, but he hasn't failed to get through anything I have. Just takes a little getting used to.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When most bikes have a diff locker on it is really hard to turn, I'm a can-am fan and the visco lock works very well when the driver knows how to drive. It starts out with 3 wheel drive and when it detects wheel speed difference (front) it locks in the fourth wheel till all are turning the same speed again.

can am 2010 Visco-Lok QE - YouTube
That's much better than all the other videos I've seen. I think I could live with that.

P.S. Most people don't know it but Polaris tried a Visco-Lok once, but it was only on one model, the 500 Magnum RMK, and I think it was only the 2002 model year. I've seen exactly one of them and that was at the dealer.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only problem I have with that video is you don't know if it's the other 3 tires pushing the 4th tire over the stop, or if there's actually torque coming through the 4th (front left) tire pulling it over the stop.

you see the front right tire spinning faster, but that does not mean the left front is not partially engaged (like a clutch) and pulling also.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch the video again, the right tire, and both rear tires are on rollers, the front left is the only wheel doing the work.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Watch the video again, the right tire, and both rear tires are on rollers, the front left is the only wheel doing the work.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

defiantly better than they use to be. Id still wanna see it in a real situation. The reason i say this is b/c all the other tires do not have resistance on them. Picture it if the were on dirt or solid rock. Is this wheel kicking in so much quicker b/c of very little resistance? just a thought.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

All the diff lock ATVs are true AWD . The only thing I do not like about them vs the Polaris system is you have more steps to do.

Your have to stop put the ATV in low Range engage the diff lock, once through the trouble spot stop again and put the ATV back into 3wd or 2wd.

The Polaris system is 2wd or AWD with no in between. The ATV does it on its own not the rider with no reason to stop.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Personally I prefer the 4-wd that CanAm uses.

I would love to see a real life situation where a little tiny bit of slippage from the viscous coupler really made a huge difference or kept the CanAm from making it up a hill or out of a mud hole or even while rock climbing.

Other than Polaris and CanAm you have to hold a lever or something and usually when the front diff is locked it will be governed in some other way like speed or rpm.

The problem with Polaris is that it reverts back to 2-wd when it's not needed and when I put something in 4-wd I want it in 4-wd. It should be my choilce not the machines.

The 4-wd on the Polaris has to meet certain criteria to engage, rear wheels slips and the RPMs have to drop below 3100 rpm after 4-wd has been selected before the 4-wd will engage.

So if I'm riding down a road and switch the 4-wd on and power thru a corner all I'm going to have is 2-wd unless I allow the rpms to drop below 3100 rpm first.

Polaris 4-wd works after you have met all the requirements, just like the ADC - only works in certain conditions.

I'll take CanAms 4-wd over the others anyday of the week.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It really comes down to a matter of preference. I can deal with all the systems out there pretty well. My only real complaint is with Honda. I've seen places where the extra little bit of traction makes the difference between climbing the snow covered bank or just walking right up it. Same goes for rocky hill climbs and deep mud. I think the issue of hard steering with the wheels all locked together has been mitigated by everyone now offering power steering. Again, personally, I like the Polaris system just a bit better than the older (2009 and older) Can-Ams. Something as simple as loading quads on a frost covered tilt trailer has shown me that an already locked or essentially seamless locking mechanism is better than gradually engaging. I'm glad Can-Am has gone to a quicker engagement. It shows they are listening to the buyers.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Specta
Personally I prefer the 4-wd that CanAm uses.

I would love to see a real life situation where a little tiny bit of slippage from the viscous coupler really made a huge difference or kept the CanAm from making it up a hill or out of a mud hole or even while rock climbing.

Other than Polaris and CanAm you have to hold a lever or something and usually when the front diff is locked it will be governed in some other way like speed or rpm.

The problem with Polaris is that it reverts back to 2-wd when it's not needed and when I put something in 4-wd I want it in 4-wd. It should be my choilce not the machines.

The 4-wd on the Polaris has to meet certain criteria to engage, rear wheels slips and the RPMs have to drop below 3100 rpm after 4-wd has been selected before the 4-wd will engage.

So if I'm riding down a road and switch the 4-wd on and power thru a corner all I'm going to have is 2-wd unless I allow the rpms to drop below 3100 rpm first.

Polaris 4-wd works after you have met all the requirements, just like the ADC - only works in certain conditions.

I'll take CanAms 4-wd over the others anyday of the week.
I agreed , Diff lockers only works in low range because the steering is almost uncontrollable its a safety thing.

For the Polaris method.

If the rear wheels are not slipping at all why would you want to be in 4wd? A ATV steers easier in 2wd.

Who would want to engage 4wd while doing power slide corners?

The Can Am system is my next choice, buts it,s not as instant,and once I,m through a troubled spot on the trail I want the ATV to go back into 2wd not 4wd .

Quick Reply: atv with best 4x4 system?