General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Flotation

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATV Flotation

We are students at Lakeview Technology Academy working on our Engineering Design and Development class. We were wondering if we could ask you some questions. Do you ever fear your ATV will go through thin ice? Would you like a flotation device that can be attached to the ATV where you can self inflate it or it inflates when it hits the water? Also would you like to see any attachments that come with it? Thank you for your time and answers. Sincerely, Students at Lakeview Technology Academy

Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Most atvs will actually float a bit. Although it is highly recommended that the air intake be snorkeled if it's a reoccurring thing.

As for thin ice, I'd hope a person realizes that it's not a safe thing to be ridden on or taken lightly.

How would the device know the difference between a splash in a puddle and deep water?

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard they float pretty good... upside down. I'd worry more about myself, not the quad.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EDDGateway
We are students at Lakeview Technology Academy working on our Engineering Design and Development class. We were wondering if we could ask you some questions. Do you ever fear your ATV will go through thin ice? Would you like a flotation device that can be attached to the ATV where you can self inflate it or it inflates when it hits the water? Also would you like to see any attachments that come with it? Thank you for your time and answers. Sincerely, Students at Lakeview Technology Academy
I had actually thought about this a while ago- mounting 4 small synthetic "balloons" under each fender that inflates via a small co2 cylinder tucked away in the frame- the co2 would dump by way of an electronic proportioning valve triggered by a simple continuity switch mounted on the highest point on the atv- I’m thinking the entire setup would weigh maybe 20lbs, the co2 cylinder could be refilled at any paintball supply / sports depot and the balloons just get folded back up.

There would need to be a “bypass” switch to allow the owner the flexibility of using a power washer and to disable it when the atv will be used mostly on trails with puddles and such.

I don’t think there would be such a need for it though- I can’t see an atv’er spending much coin for something that might be used a few times per year- and it being such a hassle to install. It would only be useful to people who live in a colder climate and drive on ice- Plus, the “balloons” would have to be mounted symmetrically to keep the atv level- since the atv will want to overturn due to the huge tires… A lot of people who ride on ice zip tie capped pvc tubes to the racks and fill them with foam- then remove'em when the season is over.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

That being said-

I think another useful device would be a simple “bobber” tethered to a high strength synthetic line that reveals the location of a sunken atv, sled or vehicle. After it’s located by the “bobber” it can simply be attached to a winch and pulled to recover. Deployment could be via co2 with a simple disarm switch. The bobber could have an L.E.D. for easier visibility.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There are systems out there now. Bear Claw Tours - DRIFTERS - ATV Floatation System YouTube - ATV Flotation Honestly, the systems out there are too bulky. If you design one I would be more inclined to go with the CO2 type that inflates the emergency life vests when immersed in water. The trouble I have with that is how you would design it to not inflate when you are only headlight deep and not in trouble.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The trouble I have with that is how you would design it to not inflate when you are only headlight deep and not in trouble.
that's where a bypass would come in handy- or even a remote switch- but then you'd have to carry the remote everytime you ride and I hate having anything hanging off my atv key.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Stay off thin ice.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
Stay off thin ice.

exactly!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I want to float, I'll just strap a fat chick in my SxS's passenger seat. Nice and buoyant. I figure chicken wings are cheaper than your balloons.