General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Winch Cable Breaking-Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotagun
It must've been a combination of things that led to my cable breaking - the rollers appeared to be very rough, probably from running the plow when the previous owner used it for his parking lot, so i replaced the fairlead.
Cable snapped a few inches up from the end, twice, so this time I also put a 'winch line saver' on it, too, to help prevent running the cable in too far.

Lastly, don't know how old the cable was, as i had bought the unit used. There must've been less than 15 feet remaining on the winch, so the cable had snapped xx times before i started using it. Hopefully i won't be messing with the setup in the middle of a blizzard like i did last year...
standard length for a steel winch cable is 50'- My advice would be to purchase a new steel cable from ebay ($15-$30) and install the new cable on your winch drum. DONT CUT THE CABLE and use a cable tie- they always fail. The new cable will have the ferrule already crimped on it. There was an issue with your old cable for sure- a 3/16th steel cable is rated around 4700 lbs and a 1/4 around 6000lbs- so your winch would torque out, the ferrule would slip off or your front end would cave in before you snapped a steel cable that's in good shape- especially just lifting an 80lb plow blade. It sounds like your last cable was badly streched or corroded.

Unless money isn't an issue go with a new steel cable- if you have a few more bucks to spend then go with a synthetic rope.