General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Do i need sand tires/paddle tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need sand tires/paddle tires

do i need front sand tires/paddle tires for my ltz 400 thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

For dunes I would recommend at least rear paddles. Depending on the dunes and type of sand knobbies will get you around, but paddles are a better choice.

Plenty of guys run rear paddles with front knobbies (myself included) and have fun. Front knobbies will push more than a front sand tire though.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have back sand tires so do you think i need fronts thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

It would probably depend on the type of riding that you do, sand conditions, and where you ride. I've been running with Sandstars on the rear and stock knobbies on the front of my 400ex for about two years, and am now considering front sand tires for a little extra responsiveness. But the dunes I ride have a lot of wooded sand trails, where a just a little better turning can make a difference. The stock knobbies will tend to understeer in the sand compared to ribbed front sand tires.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Trailblazer

Ok i ride in real soft sand and there is nothing in the way the wood sticks rock.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Range Rover
Default sand tires

I have never ridden in straight soft sand like that found at Dumont Dunes, CA; however, my conversations when I asked what to run at Dumont Dunes with others gave mixed reviews. Some say yes you need sand paddle tires at least for the rear end and others say that my "Hole Shot" desert tires are more than good enough just knock the air down to a couple of pounds. Some stated that you only need the paddle tires if you are attempting Comp Hill at the dunes and then others again stated that my tires on my bike will go up Comp Hill just fine.

I know that now I hit soft sand from time to time desert riding and as long as I keep my momentum going I ride through just fine, when I slow down my front end started to dig in with the old factory tires; however, I have not gone into soft sand with the new "hole shot" front tires on so I don't know how they will do now.

I guess if you got the money to spend and the spare rims to mount them to you can't go wrong having a set of rear paddle tires in the garage if you do any amount of soft sand riding.

Anyone in Cali looking for a full set of factory Suzuki rims and tires with all lug nuts for them let me know I have the factory tires from my 450 in the garage. The rear 8" rim moto tires are new only had about 10 miles put on them (perfect paddle tire rims) before I changed them out to desert tires. the fronts are three months old with plenty of Stoddard ORV and Slash X driving put onto them.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks i will look in to getting them.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Update..

The wife and I have started riding the soft sand in the Mojave River and I have been able to go up and over soft dunes with my current tires just fine..Next step is to go out and ride the Razor area and then off to Dumont dunes for a final challange..Tell you all the truth the wife and I are getting bit by the sand dune bug and we like the soft sand over the riding in rocks and car swallowing ruts.

So far no issues here riding in soft sand and dune riding but I'm sure Dumont Dunes will change my mind and the paddle tires will go on soon enough.