General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Plow and Spring Adjustment Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow and Spring Adjustment Questions...

New, novice ATV owner here ... recently purchased Polaris Sportsmen XP 550 EFI/EPS (Black) and I think it's my coolest purchase in years.

I got the Glacier II Razor plow and I've used it a couple times. When I hit ruts in my drive way, the springs on the plow allow the plow to tilt forward and then if I keep moving, the plow springs back into place. This is very loud and scared the *$!# out of me the first time it happened...the question is, should I be gentle with this, go very slow, etc. or is this simply the way it's intended to perform and I can roll right through those moments (spring/tilt)? Just don't want to break anything...

Front/Rear springs ... when I accelerate or lift the plow, the front end raises or lowers quite a bit. The front springs are set to lowest, most comfortable ride (dealer). Today I jacked up the front and tighted the front springs by 2 notches, made no adjustments on rear. Seems to be a little better, but curious what other folks do ... number of notches, all the way, etc.?

Thanks all, appreciate your help.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

thats what the springs are for,but if you do know where your plow is gonna hit, i tend to slow down and touch the winch button "in" to clear the crack in the driveway. then lower it back down as soon i glide over it. It wont hurt it if it does tilt forward and spring back though. The shocks on the front of my bike are set on the highest setting when i plow, the rear dont matter.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great, thanks for the response ... I'll adjust front springs tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

no problem! you dont have to adjust them all the way if you dont want but since your not trail riding,the shocks can be stiff so it dont sag so much when you lift the plow. it kinda helps save the life of the shock i guess,less movment,less wear and tear.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many have found that even if you adjust the XP front shocks it still hits. It is a poor design. I have been thinking about shortening the push tube to avoid this issue completely.