Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » ATV Community » General Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default Winching ATV into truck bed

Make a long story short....I ran out of gas last weekend and got towed back to camp. I used the newly installed winch to load the atv into the back of an F150 with tri-fold ramps. When the machine got close to the top of the ramps the angle of the winch cable was such that it was compressing the front suspension rather then pulling the machine up into the bed. At the time to solve this i got behind the machine and gave it a push (while winching) so the front tires were on the tailgate and everything was good from there. Any one have any tricks to remedy this problem. Oh, I attached a chain across the front of the bed of the truck from the side hooks and the winch hook to the middle of this....pulling from the center of the truck.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Garage is empty, add now

To solve that particular problem you have to either raise the winching point higher or get longer ramps so there will be less resistance to get over the top of the ramp. Easiest is to carry a spare can of gas. You can buy a 2 1/2 gallon can for probably less than $10.
Precious little more than just some cruel cosmic joke.
It's like being all dressed up and there was never even anywhere to go...

2012 Can-Am Outlander Max 650 XT-P
2009 Can-Am Renegade 500 (Sons)
Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
1995 Ford F-150

Giving it a little push if it ever happens again is going to be your easiest solution.

Get out and enjoy the ride!
God has saved the best for last....The Eternity Trail Ride... Event corridnator and trail guide Jesus Christ!!!!! Make your reservations now!!!!
http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/HawkRider/
Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
2008 polaris sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu111376 View Post
Make a long story short....I ran out of gas last weekend and got towed back to camp. I used the newly installed winch to load the atv into the back of an F150 with tri-fold ramps. When the machine got close to the top of the ramps the angle of the winch cable was such that it was compressing the front suspension rather then pulling the machine up into the bed. At the time to solve this i got behind the machine and gave it a push (while winching) so the front tires were on the tailgate and everything was good from there. Any one have any tricks to remedy this problem. Oh, I attached a chain across the front of the bed of the truck from the side hooks and the winch hook to the middle of this....pulling from the center of the truck.
iv got the solution: ROTOPAX!!! lol just a thought!
home made 54" snow plow, 3000lb warn winch, winch grill cut out "cut by me", 8 911ep led warning lights & ls12, LED taillights & work lights, front bumper, K&N air filter, P-X-T tires & alum rims(summer), 489 & steel rims(winter), hand/thumb warmers, RotopaX fuel packs, 4x8 trailer w/LED tail & maker lights, custom made lock & ride fimco boom sprayer, lock & ride tall windshield. got my auto reverse lights made and installed.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

personally, i don't put atvs in the back of the truck. i've seen too many "accidents" with ramps getting shot out from under the atv. i always use a trailer with fixed swing ramps.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Jr Administrator
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
2011 Just a cooler and a humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaster94 View Post
personally, i don't put atvs in the back of the truck. i've seen too many "accidents" with ramps getting shot out from under the atv. i always use a trailer with fixed swing ramps.
If you properly anchor the ramp to the truck, that will not happen. I have had mine slip, but only the inch or so play it had in the cables. Still left plenty of the ramp on the tailgate to load the atv.

Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I alway winch my 660 into the back of my Ford F250 and have never had the problem of compressing the front suspension but the ramps I use are 72" long. I also push the 4 wheeler out of the truck.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default little push

spare gas. little push from friends, winch on back of quad , grizzly 700 it will never happen lol lol.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
atv, atvs, back, bed, load, people, push, quads, ride, store, trailer, truck, trucks, ways, winch