Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Different size tires for snow????

Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different size tires for snow????

Does anyone go with a different size wheel/tire for running in deep snow to avoid high centering? I love the way the tracks can go just about anywhere because of riding on top of deep snow, but seeing as I can't afford a set of tracks, I'm wondering if going with a wider & taller tire (slightly aired down) would have a similar result.

Do you need to add a lift kit if going to a larger size tire?

We love to go ice fishing & have gotten hung up many times & it keeps me too far from the spots that I'd really like to get to which is why I'm looking for another option.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Wider tires aired down will help in deep snow. Its the same way snow shoes work. Spread your wieght out over a larger area to float on top of the snow. I have heard maxxis bighorns are good in the snow. And I think ITP makes a tire with studs in for snow and ice.

If your atv can haddle it, 12'' wides on all 4's should work. As for hieght. Taller tires have more sidewall. More sidewall mean more flex, which means when aired down. You will have a bigger foot print in the snow. BUT, bigger tires means more wieght.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Sbmudhog, that's kind of what I was thinking but being new to the world of ATV's, I didn't know how far I can go in tire size changes from stock.

I have a Polaris 500 X2, 25X8X12 front & 25X11X12 on the rear, so if anyone know's the upper limit in front tire width for my machine, that would be a great help.

I've been reading the other snow tire threads and I'm leaning towards the Zilla 26" tall tire, but the width is the biggest question. I like that the Zilla's are lighter in weight and there has been quite a few comments from those that like them and being 6 ply will help their longevity when aired down may-be.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

I have 10" wides on my kodiak. with ITP wheels. I am not sure about a polaris. But you should have planty of power to turn wider tires.