Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Long Travel A-Arm options

Old 08-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Travel A-Arm options

I've been thinking about beefing up my 03 Predator front end. I'm almost tapping out the suspension at high speed distance jumps...and I weigh in at 188lbs.

I would like to do a +2 type setup.

Can someone give me a few options (vendors), along with prices ranges for this?

Also, am I able to keep my stock fox shocks with rezzies, or do I need to upgrade the shocks too if I purchase longer travel a-arms?

Anyone have any experience with performance gained after installing longer travel arms on their predator, as the predator has fairly long travel for a stock quad??

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not gonna be much help as I am not too familiar with what is available for the predator. I can tell you that aftermarket shocks will help since they are made to your weight and type of riding/racing that you do. Long travel a-arms generally require longer shocks(again,I am not an authority on preds.).

Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

Appreciate the help 13...

I started a thread here since I wasn't able to get much response here.

I definitely agree, suspension setup for your weight and riding is key.....

Old 08-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Looks to me like those guys are pointing you in the right direction.There are alot of different ways to go for sure. On the one question that you had concerning the ELKAS and the lower ride height;You definitely want all 3 shocks because if you put the zero preload shocks on the front only ,you will end up with a nose low condition that will make your quad worse than with stockers(This applies to AXIS,ELKA,TCS,PEP shocks too).You can turn a bunch of pre-load into them to get the front to match the rear but, you lose the benefit of the lower ride height(The lower ride height will make your quad be able to take turns alot faster. Stability is greatly improved.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the additional feedback.

I can't justify spending any additional money on my suspension, other than the front, because I do think the rear is good enough for me now, and in the future.

I just feel the front needs more so to speak.

That stinks....I was wondering about the lower ride height issue when I'm not addressing the rear.

I'll need to make sure whatever front end option I end up taking, the front sits the same height.

I'm hoping that the front will be plush through the whoops, and at the same time, handle the large drops....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Again, thanks

Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

in theory just cuz you go +2 on the arms doesnt really mean your "long travel" they do have Long travel a-arms and if you purchase them you will need to buy a set of long travel shocks. IMO get a set of elkas or TCS on your stock arms, and i dont think youll be able to bottom them out.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

CT: Yep, that makes sense. I would prefer not to go long travel. If I do end up with a-arms, they're simply wider, not more travel. I imagine I will stick with the stock arms and go with either rebuilding to spec, or buying aftermarket. It's up in the air right now.
Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

IMO opinion get a nice set of regular +2 and then buy some nice shocks and your problem is solved. Traditionaly +2 "long travel" a-arms are going to cost a lot more, and "long travel" shocks are going to cost a lot more.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

I have works shocks all the way around on my 250R and i have yet to be able to bottum them out, yet they're still plush in the woops. Most of the shocks now are triple rate which make them nice. You can pick up just the shocks on e-bay for a reasonable price, and if worse comes to worse you can always have them rebuilt.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the first hand experience.... it's nice to know I won't be bottoming that front end out anymore...