Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Stability Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Issue

What's up everyone,
I got in a wreck a couple months ago on my kfx and just now able to have the funds to fix it...had to replace the right front spindle, handle bars, both right side wheels and the rear axle...nothing on the front end other than the spindle seemed to be bent. The rear axle is a eliminator 2+2 axle I have it set to 2" right now...my problem is when I ride on pavement(have to in order to get to the track and trails) it is really unstable and twitchy only under power though...the only thing I can think of is the rear track being wider than the front causing it to do that...is there anything I can do to correct it with out replacing the a arms? I.E. offset wheels, spacers or alignment adjustments? The reason I am shying away from a arms is the cost and also having to replace shocks and other front end components is what I am told...any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Old 12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stability Issue

There can be other things that are causing this to happen.

What exactly happens when it is acting twitchy?

Is the steering light or unresponsive? Does it change direction violently or abruptly?

What tires are you using? What condition are they in?

Have you raised the rear and run it in gear to check that nothing is bent like a hub etc?

Is the chain adjusted properly?

Is your frame bent?

Sorry for all the thoughts or questions but there are just so many things that can cause this to happen other than the rear being 2" wider than the front.

Hope this helps you fix the problem.

Old 12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stability Issue

It happens under throttle, front steering is extremely light and unresponsive...tires are stock still, good condition though...I am clueless here. I think that the toe is slightly out, but maybe 1/8-1/2 inch out...which shouldn't cause it to be that way I wouln't think. Frame isn't bent and the chain is adjusted properly also

Old 12-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stability Issue

An out of whack (not matched) or even just too much toe out can make it twitchy and wander.

Try resetting the toe to about 1/8 or 1/4 in and see what happens.

The castor and camber can also have an affect on this and thats why I asked about the frame being straight etc.

I have found that tire pressure in the rear especially can make it a little squirelly also.