1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New-B, got a (well) used Tao Tao 110, got a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-B, got a (well) used Tao Tao 110, got a couple questions...

Hi guys, 1st post!

I picked up a used TaoTao (i think) 110 ATV yesterday. It run, but had a broken left handle bar switch assy, broken key switch, missing headlights, and a dead battery. I think the damage came from sitting out in the elements for LONG time. The back end is heavily faded, so I think it was apart for a while too. With all that, we jumper'd the ignition and it ran pretty well. I bought it for a cheap beater quad for my son to get started on.

Unfortunately I can't find any sort of identification on it, so I have a few questions...
1) can anyone tell me what model number this is, or better a link to finding a user / service manual?
2) I'm going to change the oil in the engine and rear diff, any suggestions?
3) From the images, anything weird I should be aware of?
4) This thing looks very old, and I don't see any vendors with similar looking front suspension parts. The right front wheel looks cambered out slightly, and I'm scratching my head a bit as to where that's coming from - and where to get the right part(s) to fix it?

(images)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1hrrrl3xq...28.44.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqhsxxtc5b...28.55.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z25kea5t79...29.12.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/weyicchgfs...04.24.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnnjdcjy39...00.53.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs84o1lu7s...02.05.jpg?dl=0

Thanks!
Kelly

Last edited by kelly w; 09-02-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: image links...
Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It sort of looks like my 2004 Yamoto.. the one I have is a 150 but they made a few sizes. pretty basic, simple, quad.

engine oil. 10wt-40.. gear oil 85wt.. spark plug. NGK C6HSA

Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info!

Based on that, I did a little digging today. It looks really close to the Yamotos but I also came across another called the "Hurricane 110" that's virtually identical. Unfortunately the majority of retailers quoting parts specifically for this ATV show up in the Uk.
(Extremeimport :: Quad Shop :: quad-bike-parts-110cc-quad-parts :: english)

The body is pretty beat up, so If anyone knows of a source for new / used parts on this ATV, please let me know. On the common parts; I have a new air and fuel filter, along with key switch, battery, and left side switch cluster arriving ~Friday. hope to get the major issues out of the way this weekend.

Follow up question, what would you recommend for tire pressure?

Appreciate the help so far...
Kelly

Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

This guy sold Jetmoto's a few years ago.. they used the same plastic as you have. ask for Jim.. tell him MWQ sent you..

Kid ATVs | Cheap ATVs | Jetmoto ATV Parts | Online ATV sales | Kids 4 Wheelers | Hastings Minnesota

5 psi.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MWQ, you've been a huge help in figuring this thing out so far. Much appreciated. ..

I got a new air filter, key switch, and battery in the mail yesterday and got it all put back together this morning. I'm still waiting for an LED tail light + headlights, and the left side switch cluster with kill and starter. Regardless, I jumped the starter solenoid and took it out for a brief run around the cabin this morning, after replacing all the parts above + and changing engine and different oil. This thing has clearly sat for a while and it's waking up a bit cranky. Got a few more questions if you don't mind...

1. There appears to be 2 drain plugs under the engine. I got engine oil out of the right side and refilled watching the window on the side of the motor - all good. What is the other drain for, the transmission? I had assumed the transmission shared engine oil. If not shared, could you help me with fill location, volume, etc?

2. I drove around for 15 min or so this morning. The more I drove, it seemed like it was less able able to tolerate higher throttle. It seemed like a fuel starvation issue, but I'm not sure. It would start to cough a bit, bog down, and decelerate until I backed off the power. As I drove, I could use less and less throttle. I let it sit for an hour and tried again, and the power band was back to what I assume was normal. Any thoughts / suggestions? I assume is was not overheating, cool air and I wasn't too hard on it. So far I've stayed out of the carb...

3. Throttle cable... This one has a mild kink in it. Are the 110 cables more or less interchangeable between brands?

Thx
Kelly

Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by kelly w
Hey MWQ, you've been a huge help in figuring this thing out so far. Much appreciated. ..

I got a new air filter, key switch, and battery in the mail yesterday and got it all put back together this morning. I'm still waiting for an LED tail light + headlights, and the left side switch cluster with kill and starter. Regardless, I jumped the starter solenoid and took it out for a brief run around the cabin this morning, after replacing all the parts above + and changing engine and different oil. This thing has clearly sat for a while and it's waking up a bit cranky. Got a few more questions if you don't mind...

1. There appears to be 2 drain plugs under the engine. I got engine oil out of the right side and refilled watching the window on the side of the motor - all good. What is the other drain for, the transmission? I had assumed the transmission shared engine oil. If not shared, could you help me with fill location, volume, etc?

2. I drove around for 15 min or so this morning. The more I drove, it seemed like it was less able able to tolerate higher throttle. It seemed like a fuel starvation issue, but I'm not sure. It would start to cough a bit, bog down, and decelerate until I backed off the power. As I drove, I could use less and less throttle. I let it sit for an hour and tried again, and the power band was back to what I assume was normal. Any thoughts / suggestions? I assume is was not overheating, cool air and I wasn't too hard on it. So far I've stayed out of the carb...

3. Throttle cable... This one has a mild kink in it. Are the 110 cables more or less interchangeable between brands?

Thx
Kelly
1) one is a oil drain bolt(the one you removed) and the other one has a spring and a sort of small shaft inside it.. quite a few threads on people removing the wrong one.

2)sounds very lean.. you can try turning the smaller of the screws on the carb out 1/2 to 1 turn.. this will help at idle to 1/3 thrittle.

3) I would think so but pay attention to the cable length and the fittings on each end..

Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I kept working at it, and it appears the bogging down problem was just bad gas. Once it was on to a fresh tank, it ran very smooth. Thanks for the note on the extra drain plug threads. I'm down to page 45 reading and I've come across a few cases like that. Good thing I guessed right...

Next though, after some run time at higher power settings I got a loud howling sound in 3rd gear. It will continue until I slow to a near stop and go up through the gears again. Didn't seem to happen when cold, but once it happens it returns easily. It sounds like a slipping clutch or a spinning bearing race of some kind. Hard to diagnose in that i have zero documentation. Thankfully that's the only major issue at the moment, but I can see any threads showing a solution to it yet.

I read in one of the threads that ATV specific oil has some additives for wet clutches. (I assume this is a wet clutch...) I used generic Castrol 10w40. Could that be an issue? The old oil was so dark that I'm planning to do another change soon anyway. If not, is there a clutch adjustment to try? I really need to find a manual of some kind...

Aside from that, next up is a new spark plug, and I'm trying to find some new front end bushings and rod ends. I'm gonna try the link you gave me and see what they have to tighten up the front end.

If you have any thoughts on the tranny howling, I'd appreciate the insight.

Thx
K

Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

The 2004 Yamoto 125's had a gear and shaft that were out of tolerance.. Too tight and there was a howling in 3rd gear at high rpm.. Never heard of any problems coming from it and most seemed to wear in.

I use normal oil(Valvoline 10wt-40) in all of my Honda and Chinese 4 strokes.. Been doing this for over 30 yrs.. no clutch problems from doing that..