1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao 300cc ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 AM
B85
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 300cc ?

Hello,new here. Just got a 2008 TaoTao ATA300H that is not running ! (No spark.)

Is their a Ign. set of spec. listed somewhere ?

It has a 6 pin CDI and only 5 are in use. Looks like the kill switch is not installed ? Looks like no pin's have ever been installed.

Got a new CDI,Coil and have a good battery.
Installed the new stuff, still no spark ?

Have battery voltage at the CDI = red/white wire with key on. 12.68 Volts
Good ground. Green wire.
Trigger is a blue/white and green wire. Makes about 1.34 volts cranking.
Coil wire is a Black/yellow wire (on volts cranking) ?Photo is of the CDI that was on the ATV.

Handle bar switch seems ok.Ign. switch seems ok . Clutch switch works. Lights,brake light all working.

Don't know about the charging yet ?

This Atv was a mess. Was sitting for 2+ years. Other than the rear gear sprocket mount needed to be opened up .050 so it could go into the seal and butt up to the bearing and get the chain in line it should run. Old owner said they could not keep the chain on. You think ? It had like 3/4" sprocket misalignment.

So,thanks for the input to come ! HELP !

Randy

Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so it cranks but you ain't getting spark, right? so you got voltage on coil output? i'm presuming you're using a new NGK spark plug......and all of the quick connect blades are making good contact inside each connector?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM
B85
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.
Yes,cranks just fine.
Yes battery voltage at Red/white wire. (In the photo it is the wire with the funny repair)
Tested the plug on another system and was ok,but will change it.
I will recheck all the pins this AM.

Ideas ?

Randy

Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 PM
B85
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help ! NOT!

So I pushed on and found a way to test the trigger. You just build a new trigger from a GM HEI unit. Long story short, the trigger puts out 1.5 to 2 volts crank, in the system. And about 146 ohms for a old one. This will fire a GM HEI unit.

For some strange reason all the CDI's I have are "BAD". So my system would never had worked !

Now I have 2 more CDI's on order and we will see if I can get the stock system up and running ?

The problem with the GM HEI is it has no advance . She is good up to 1/2 throttle then the motor wants advanced ignition and well their is none ! Wish I was better with electricity I build a advance unit.

I would say thanks , but ?

This Quad could be a great bike but someone skipped a lot of steps ! I will keep working on a ignition system for this bike.With some good parts to replace the $hit used on this Quad.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well sorry for the delayed replies. i was out of town on a vacation trip with no internet. have fun.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Someone has cut the plug from the CDI that had the kill and red/white wire connected to it. Are you sure that the red/white should be connected to that pin? Also some CDIs work on the wire from the kill switch cutting the engine when earthed, some work on the kill wire being earthed when running, and disconnected to kill the engine. Connecting a CDI up wrongly can blow it so check before fitting a new CDI.

Unless I know the answer to a question, I wait a couple of days before giving a suggestion like the above, so that someone who does know the answer can jump in first. Also I don't sit in front of the computer all day waiting for someone to post, I bet you don't either.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by merryman

Unless I know the answer to a question, I wait a couple of days before giving a suggestion like the above, so that someone who does know the answer can jump in first. Also I don't sit in front of the computer all day waiting for someone to post, I bet you don't either.
i'm in the same boat, i too wait a bit before posting unless i know the answers. some folks get disgruntled and pissy pretty quick. i sometimes have the bad habit of jumping in the post too soon, BUT, i do ask some questions about " have you checked this or that?" because the poster does not give enough information up front. kind of like....."won't start"...really?! so define "no start". but in the mean time, i try but some folks can't be satisfied.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 PM
B85
Weekend Warrior

For now I will run the GM HEI. Made a mount and will also use a GM coil (full size). After playing with it I found it ran very well after the motor got up to temp. Also was looking at a HEI used on the boat motor that has a advance in it ? Think it will be the way to go if I don't like the way it runs on the stock CDI's ? That is if it runs !

Also found the charging system will be able to keep up with the system. But I will be keeping a eye on it for now. With the lights and cooling fan on it holds 13.21 Volts at 3/4 throttle. That is with a full size battery(car) so this could change.

Going to install the battery and body parts next and do some testing.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Im sorry for not posting also. I am self employed and when I get busy this is the last place I have time for. And Im not very good at electrical problems unless Im in front of the machine..

Glad to hear you got it going B85 . Nice looking quad. If you get the chance Id love to see a couple pics of it all together.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
B85
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all of you !

It was more the pointing a flashlight it to a hole ! Can't see the bottom .

Got a new battery and it does not fit ? And the bracket was made by ???
So I built what I think is needed.Also found that the right fender mount point was about 1/2" to far back,so I moved it!

Will post some photos later.
Randy

Quick Reply: TaoTao 300cc ?