1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Eagle ATV wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Eagle ATV wont start

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

We were just given an Eagle ATV by a friend's dad as a project. He said it ran fine until the friend's son got a little crazy with it (I take that to mean he wrecked it but the unit looks good, rolls good, etc., but it won't start. Grandpa said he put a new CDI on it but he thought this other box with wires in that's hanging beside the motor on the left side needed to reattached to the frame up by the handlebars. Feeling on that part of the frame you can feel where the little metal piece that was welded to the frame is broke and the box can no longer be attached there. Grandpa believed this box needed to be grounded at this attachment point but it the screw on the end of the box looks like just a normal screw like the box was just attached there and not being grounded (but I'm totally new so who knows?).

Anyway, it wont do anything when the electric starter is pressed and I'm just looking for ideas on where to begin to get this thing running.

Thanks again for your help and guidance.

RS.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default How do I attach pics? It's asking for a URL.

bbbbb

Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handyman4172
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

We were just given an Eagle ATV by a friend's dad as a project. He said it ran fine until the friend's son got a little crazy with it (I take that to mean he wrecked it but the unit looks good, rolls good, etc., but it won't start. Grandpa said he put a new CDI on it but he thought this other box with wires in that's hanging beside the motor on the left side needed to reattached to the frame up by the handlebars. Feeling on that part of the frame you can feel where the little metal piece that was welded to the frame is broke and the box can no longer be attached there. Grandpa believed this box needed to be grounded at this attachment point but it the screw on the end of the box looks like just a normal screw like the box was just attached there and not being grounded (but I'm totally new so who knows?).

Anyway, it wont do anything when the electric starter is pressed and I'm just looking for ideas on where to begin to get this thing running.

Thanks again for your help and guidance.

RS.
Ok, here we go:
does the part have fins like the engine? so it sounds like it won't crank. is the battery @ >12v? if equipped, is the inline fuse good (usually a little red wire connected to positive wire of battery and in that area)?
is the red slider kill switch in the "ON" position? is the wires connected in the back of the keyed ignition? sounds like you have a push button starter switch. with the key "ON", do you have voltage to the solenoid (some folks call it a starter relay)? ok, i'm presuming this quad is 150cc or less, so, is there plenty of DOT 4 brake fluid in the brake reservoir? ok, engage parking brake. now, is the neutral switch illuminated? with the brakes applied, whether or not the brake light illuminates, the brake switch must work (interlock so kids don't run themselves over if quad were to start and they're standing beside it and get ran over). if equipped, under the seat area towards the rear may be a rear tether kill switch that just pulls apart with a string or something similar, make sure that is intact if it even has one. so if the pushbutton starter switch won't crank it, then we can start measuring voltage in that area. just for grins and giggles, you could jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the starter cranks. while you're at it, double check the quick connects on the wiring harness/loom to make sure they're making good contact. sometimes the blades inside push back and do not make good male/female contact. well, there's a start for you. ; report back with details.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as for posting pics, i think you gotta have more than 10 posts to put pics in threads. in the meantime, make an album under your profile and we can look there.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same

My story is same as yours. New battery. Checked all kill switches. Tested CDI and it test good. Not a thing on earth happens when I try to start it with start button or remotes. Starter turns when bypassed with screw driver. You figure yours out??

Old 12-12-2019, 05:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did the same thing until I unhooked kill switch from the black and green box up front. Now it just won't stay running