1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc quad starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc quad starting issues

I've recently been given a little Chinese 110 cc quad for my son. The engine is a Loncin 107cc single cylinder. The problem is that the quad had been butchered by a previous owner and I'm having problems identifying the make and model. There was no battery fitted and no indication on wether the quad was a 12v or 6v system. The quad bump starts fine in reverse and idles and drives well. I bumped the quad and measured the voltage at the regulator in order to determine if it's 12v or 6v. The digital multi meter read 8vac from the stator and 7.5vdc at the battery terminals. I assumed that this meant that the quad was a 6v system. I fitted a brand new 6v 6A battery. After checking the solenoid without the starter connected (all fine) I connected the started and tried to turn over the engine. The starter turns, but cranks slowly. It would almost appear that the battery was low, but this isn't the case. I then attached the battery charger to the battery and turned over the engine. It didn't turn any faster. This leads me to think that the starter is suspect, but I always thought that a starter either worked or didn't. Any help would be very useful. Also does anyone know where I can source a top fitting, 6v 3 bolt starter for a Loncin quad if I need one.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would imagine that the quad is a 12v system. i could be wrong, but i haven't seen nor heard of a 6v out on the market. so you're measuring ac and dc? hmm....
look on the front end of the quad near the grab handle...is there a metal ID tag there or a sticker? is there one on the vertical downtube of the handlebars? is there a VIN stamped there or on the underside of the left horizontal frame tube near the left foot area?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, as I said," all help gratefully received."

I managed to make contact with a mate who does a bit of work for one of the local race teams. He tells me that whilst my measurements with my trusted multimeter were taken correctly, there's a fly in the ointment. He claims that sometimes a false voltage is recorded at the regulator if there is no battery connected. I'm definitely no expert, so I have to defer to someone who claims to be. He further tells me that whilst there were some 6v units, he hasn't seen one since the mid 1980's and that, as such, mine has to be a 12v unit. So I filled, charged and fitted a new battery. Hooked it up and hey presto.

In answer to the question about VIN plates and serials, "sorry, not one anywhere." I'm sorry for wasting your time and sending you on a wild goose hunt, but I'm on a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited by Lite1mag; 06-23-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not a problem. i'm glad you're learning about them. there are no wrong questions when it comes to troubleshooting quads. they sometimes can present a challenge. some a paradox, others an oxymoron. yeah, they'll make you struggle sometimes. good luck, and this wasn't a waste of my time. have a good'en.