1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help with Chinese ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with Chinese ATV!

Was wondering if someone could help me with my Chinese quad - I am nearly giving up!

It was running fine after having a new starter motor, solenoid and battery for nearly 2 weeks then suddenly it cut out and hasn't started since.

I there is no spark on the plug when shorting it to ground. I have changed the spark plug, CDI, rectifier, stator, coil and HT lead - don't know what else to change!

I have also removed the black / white wire from the CDI and still no luck - apparently this eliminates a kill switch issue.

On the new stator there is a green / red wire which goes to nowhere inside the stator but has a bullet connector on the other end - I am just not using this for now as it was not on the old one.

One thing I have noticed is when turning the engine over testing for a spark, the motor turns a little faster when the throttle is pushed - not sure if this is supposed to be I am quite new to this.

The owner before me has messed around with it quite a lot - everything is unplugged except from the handlebar kill switch - there are no lights etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

check your ignition switch. I found on the back of one of my units the wires had broke. had to re solder them back on. You should probably find a wire diagram for your stator and figure out what that wire does. that may be the root of all your issues and frying something without it hooked up. Also check your wire harness for issues. I went from one end of mine to the other and re soldered every thing was much more reliable after that..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
check your ignition switch. I found on the back of one of my units the wires had broke. had to re solder them back on. You should probably find a wire diagram for your stator and figure out what that wire does. that may be the root of all your issues and frying something without it hooked up. Also check your wire harness for issues. I went from one end of mine to the other and re soldered every thing was much more reliable after that..
Okay cheers i will have a look at the ignition switch and the wiring harness i think all the connections are good most of them are new where stuff has been replaced.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

By any chance has it blown the fuse or fuseable link if it has one

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default .

Do you mean the main fuse on the red wire coming off the battery?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd be checking all of them they may not blown but could be it's happened to me I was pulling my hair out trying to find a fault on something and it was a dicky fuse

Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help. Just tried a new fuse but still no luck :/ just turning over with no spark.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you getting power to the coil

Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Should this be AC or DC?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

more than likely, it'll be AC. which model/make/size of quad is this one you're working on? we may have a wiring diagram for it!

Quick Reply: Help with Chinese ATV!