1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help Needed - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed - No Spark

I have a 250 twin cylinder ATV that has no spark. The motor is a vertical 2 cyl motor with a single carb. I haven't been able to find a make or model, it says made in Taiwan if that helps. Motor will crank fine, headlight, neutral light, brake light all seem to work fine, however I don't have fire. There is a foot brake and hand brake that turn on the tail light.

I have replaced plugs, coil packs/wires, and CDI and still do not have any spark. I have purchased two CDI boxes and still no spark. Are there other parts that would prevent spark?

Anyone else have one like this? If so I would love some advice.

Thank you.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would have no clue what kind of atv it is. But I just went through the same thing on my atv. I have 3 parts that it could have been CDI, Coil, and Stator (or some call them a Magneto). Yours will have to have some kind of stator to send a signal to the cdi that tells it when to fire the sparkplug. I would first check the kill switches to make sure they are not bad, on one post on here it tells where the kill switches go into the cdi. Then I would start looking at the stator, some have been lucky to just cleanning the pickup on the stator to get it to work again.

Lucky for me I just bought the three parts, and first put a new coil on and had spark again.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If i remember correctly its eather a black with white strip or white with black strip going into the cdi for the kill switch. Pop it out of the cdi and it should start.

Are you holding the break in to start? Their is usually a safety. Also some of the kill switches are tricky to turn back on. One of my imports you actually have to push it in (after you slide it to one side or the other to kill) to reset.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have traced all the lines and there is only one kill switch on the handle for this model. When I get back to it I will test the stator, this could be where it all started from.

Thank you for your help.