1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Need help with my Coleman (Linhai) ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my Coleman (Linhai) ATV

2012 Coleman/Linhai 4x4 Questions I have a 2012 Coleman/Linhai Trail-tamer 260 ATV (ATV sold by Cabelas). I bought this atv used with 89 miles on it and I am currently having problems starting and idling (atv now has 100 miles on it). These atv's have a auto choke, therfore I believe the issue is with the carb, however, I cannot find any guides on how to service this model of atv. I also want to snorkel and possibly relocate the radiator but again I cannot find any parts that are for this type of atv.If anyone can help in these matters it would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Louisiana, right outside of BR, so anyone knows of a shop that will service these atvs that would be great or if anyone knows what an "equivalent" model is that would also be helpful.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zel122884
2012 Coleman/Linhai 4x4 Questions I have a 2012 Coleman/Linhai Trail-tamer 260 ATV (ATV sold by Cabelas). I bought this atv used with 89 miles on it and I am currently having problems starting and idling (atv now has 100 miles on it). These atv's have a auto choke, therfore I believe the issue is with the carb, however, I cannot find any guides on how to service this model of atv. I also want to snorkel and possibly relocate the radiator but again I cannot find any parts that are for this type of atv.If anyone can help in these matters it would be greatly appreciated.

I am located in Louisiana, right outside of BR, so anyone knows of a shop that will service these atvs that would be great or if anyone knows what an "equivalent" model is that would also be helpful.
I've seen them for sale at Cabelas and at BJ's Wholesale Clubs. Maybe someone there can steer you in the right direction to find what you need. I've always wondered who made them for Coleman.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well hopefully I can help a little I have a baja atv with the same linhai motor in it. The carb runs off of an auto choke as you know, and how they work is there is a temp sensor on the side of the radiator. This is just basicaly a switch that is in the on position when the engine is off or cold. I dont know about yours but mine does not have a thermostat like a car. So when you start it the coolent begins to flow through the rad. When the coolent is cold the choke is on. Then when the thermostat reaches I belive around 120 the temp sensor shuts off which wont alow voltage to reach the carb. The carb has a solinoid in it the black plastic thing on the side that controlls your choke.

On mine I have to let it sit for about 5 min after I start it or it bogs way down and dies since the choke is still on. You can test the switch by unpluging it and see if it idles better. But it sounds to me like the carb has gunk in it. If you dont want to pay for a shop these carbs go on ebay for around $90 brand new, (just search linhai 260 carb/ or 250cc chinese carb). And if a shop cant clean the carb to get it to work there is no rebuild kit for them, unless you can find them. Let me know if you ever do I would buy a few kits in a heart beat.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Possible solution

Originally Posted by frizman
Well hopefully I can help a little I have a baja atv with the same linhai motor in it. The carb runs off of an auto choke as you know, and how they work is there is a temp sensor on the side of the radiator. This is just basicaly a switch that is in the on position when the engine is off or cold. I dont know about yours but mine does not have a thermostat like a car. So when you start it the coolent begins to flow through the rad. When the coolent is cold the choke is on. Then when the thermostat reaches I belive around 120 the temp sensor shuts off which wont alow voltage to reach the carb. The carb has a solinoid in it the black plastic thing on the side that controlls your choke.

On mine I have to let it sit for about 5 min after I start it or it bogs way down and dies since the choke is still on. You can test the switch by unpluging it and see if it idles better. But it sounds to me like the carb has gunk in it. If you dont want to pay for a shop these carbs go on ebay for around $90 brand new, (just search linhai 260 carb/ or 250cc chinese carb). And if a shop cant clean the carb to get it to work there is no rebuild kit for them, unless you can find them. Let me know if you ever do I would buy a few kits in a heart beat.
Thanks. I found a possible solution from a shop in Oregon. Basically it is a whole new carb (Minuki) and choke. It is retrofitted for my bike. It will take out the auto choke and electrics on the carb and just be a normal mech choke and good ole fashioned "carbaration"
I'll keep you updated once I install it. I'm excited about it I think it's gonna bring the bike to the next level.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool let me know/us know what the parts are you are using. Minuki carbs should be rebuildable, that is what I wanted to use when my first carb took a crap. But I could not figure out a way to mount it or which one to use. You can also get jet kits for them farly easy too. I still have my orriginal carb just needs a accelerator pump and it would work again I kept it in hopes I will ever find a rebuild kit.