1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help with Alpha Sport 180 Summit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
alternative transportation vehichle's Avatar
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Alpha Sport 180 Summit

Hello all. Just picked up a low hr. Alpha Sport 180 no start. Found no spark. I believe it's the CDI and plan on purchasing one.

First question I have is can anyone verify if this is a AC or DC unit? I'm guessing DC due to size from what I've already read. It's a 6 pin (four and two wire plugs) Also is there such a thing as a "better" CDI out there to purchase than the OEM? This is for my 13 and 11 year old daughters to use recreationaly.

Next question is does anyone have any idea how to access the air filter? Just a quick look makes me think the complete body plastic needs removed to get to it which is crazy if I'm correct. Where can a guy purchase a new air filter for this unit?

Even though it's called a 180 Summit I believe it's actually closer to 170 cc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can convert it to a K&N if you'd like. your quad should be A/C. define no start....cranks but doesn't fire or doesn't crank? i presume it cranks cause you said the it had no spark. is the coil plugged in? is the left hand slider kill switch working? if it doesn't crank, are the safety interlocks satisfied? change the spark plug or at least have 2 available.
Alpha Sports - AlphaSports/Tomberlin Parts Catalog
Alpha Sports - AlphaSports/Tomberlin Parts Catalog

Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response.

I decided it was DC due to size and after rechecking everything installed a new module which began to smoke so now I know it's AC. In the process I found a connector which was making poor contact in the plug to the module and this gave me spark.

Got it running but it ran poorly so I pulled the carb and cleaned it.

It's hard starting cold and I don't think the starter is engaging correctly all the way so checking the starter and possibly the valve adjustment may be the next projects.

Turned in the throttle stop screw to keep it slow for the kids first few rides then a few weeks later backed it all the way off to find I no longer have any top end as though the main jet is plugged again.

I think I may have them run a tank of fuel through it and pull he carb again to reclean.

Found the factory filter not very dirty at all and did see replacements on ebay as well. After going over it and servicing everything front to rear I am actually pretty impressed with the build of it. Even has grease zirks on the control arms. Front shocks and springs and nothing to write home about and steering doesn't turn very sharp but overall a decent rig.

Build in Taiwan with a GY6 150 cc engine with a larger head installed.

Headlights are dim/weak.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

hard cold starts do point to a valve adjustment being required. you're right on. the GY6 honda clone is a dang good engine. sounds like you got a plan to execute. if the headlights are dim/weak, check the stator output and make sure it is charging. if it is, then you'll need to chase down the light circuitry for abnormalities.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Checked the stator output earlier and it was around 14v. If I understand correctly this bike has some type of control unit to convert for the lighting. This may be bad. I'll start by trying and trace light grounds.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

some quads have that kind of stuff under the plastic in front of the handlebars under the false hood. not sure if your quad has that or not. or they could be zip tied to the vertical frame runs below the handlebars.