1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao ATA 110-B Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Trust, But Verify
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao ATA 110-B Electrical Issues

My Daughter has a Tao Tao ATA 110-B. The last time I took her riding it started giving me issues. Sometimes the starter was only working intermediately. I have done some reading and testing from this helpful forum. But, I am having issues I could not find a duplicate of. Which is why I joined up and made my own/this post.

This is what it does. I added a fuel valve so I turn it on first. Then I turn the key on. If the parking brake is not already on, I pull the brake handle and lock it on. Then I turn the kill switch to the run position. It is usually when I apply the parking brake I will have the issue of nothing working. This is when the brake lights will not turn on. They should since I have the parking brake applied. This is also when the starter will not turn over. Like I stated above, this started intermediately. But, not any more. It is in full time mode of not working.

So far this is what I have done.

o Checked the fuse, it was good.
o Checked battery voltage, 12.45V
o Jumped starter, the quad turned over and brake light came on.
o I attempted checking the ignition switch and feel I am not doing it correctly or it is bad. All I got probing the red and black wire was 0.86V. This should be 12V? Yes? No?

Does anybody have a wire diagram for this ATV?
Is there a picture lay out explaining what stuff is? I am a very visual person and do not know what everything is under the plastic.

I need more guidance. All help is appreciated!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Trust, But Verify

I forgot to add I checked the tether switch. I wiggled it around with the key on and parking brake applied. No changes!

How do you add pictures?
Do you have to use something like photobucket?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Trust, But Verify

I found this article and read it.

*Trouble Shooter Guide for NO-CRANK Chinese Engines

I have one of three issues, A bad starter relay solenoid switch or handlebar push button starter or starter lockout safety switch.

I really do not think it is the first two. I will have to locate the third one.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Everything points to a faulty brake lever switch. Find where it plugs into the wiring loom and try disconnecting. Things may then work, if not, bridge the two wires and see if you can start the machine.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ya i would say its the parking brake switch. Can you hear the switch click when you pull the parking brake? Follow the wires from the switch. I have seen them falling off the switch or badly corroded. Take a pc of wire and remove the wires from the switch and jumper them together. on one of mine for some reason as soon as i unplugged the wires it would start just had no brake light

Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Trust, But Verify

Nope, still the same......nothing.

The wire for the brake was easy, only two wires. I attempted to start with the wires jumped and disconnected and still.......nothing.

Remember, I turn the key on and I have nothing. With the parking brake on I should at least have a brake light on. I do not!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Trust, But Verify

I disconnected both front and rear brake wires and jumped them off, still nothing. I reconnected them back to how they were.

Then I unplugged the ignition key plug. It has 4 wires. I jumped them and still nothing.

I am sure once I figure this out I will think duh! why did I not think of that sooner. Right now I feel like I am going

Any more ideas?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Trust, But Verify

Figured it out.

I pulled all the plastics off so I could easily get to all the wire connections easily. I then started probing the wires with my power probe. I started at the ignition key switch. I worked my way to the fuse. Every were I probed had zero volts. I then probed the fuse. One side had 12.4V and the other had 2.2V. I twisted the fuse in its holder and probed again. It then had 12.4V on both sides. Problem found!

Too fix this I am going to get a blade fuse holder and self resetting fuse. I will solder the wires to the new fuse holder and wrap the connection with heat shrink. This should permanently fix this issue so it never happens again.

The hard part is going to be putting the plastics back on.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

My ignition messed up after i powerwashed my coolster (like an idiot) i had to wiggle the key or else no power at all, no lights, no crank. might check it out. new ignition with keys from ebay is pretty cheap.

edit, didnt read that you fixed it, but others may run into the same problem.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Tao Tao ATA 110-B Electrical Issues