1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Lurker, reader, learner, first time poster

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurker, reader, learner, first time poster

Figured this is as good as start as I get. Just want to bounce some ideas off y'alls.

We have a couple china quads. There's a Kazuma Meerkat/Wombat 50 (I think wombat, it's red) and then an Exel XL150ATV. I can't seem to find any about the Exel quad.

There's a few things going on with them.

Kazuma:
Originally it wouldn't crank & turn over. Turned out there were some loose wires and bad connections. Cleaned these up, new battery and it'll start and (sorta) run on starter fluid. Full tank of gas it just leaks out (guess a hole in the tank I can't see and a leaky petcock). One day it just wouldn't start off the gas, I think something in the carb is blocked. Thinking of pulling the carb off and giving it a good cleaning.

Exel:
This is the problem child. I just 'bought' it used (well, bought/barter). The guy said it had no spark and it was the CDI, rectifier, coil or stator. He included a performance CDI & coil with it.

I hooked everything up & gave it a good cranking. It turns over and seems to have good compression. Just no spark. I'm going to tear into the CDI & stator tonight to see if I'm getting any voltages off it. Tried new spark plugs and that, still nothing.

Aside from following some of the guides on here about no spark on the GY6 motors, anything else I could check?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you push in on the kill switch and make sure it isn't shorting out your cdi thats how it works to turn off the motor.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I already popped out the kill wire from the CDI. Haven't tried to start it though. Stupid thing called parent-teacher conferences I had to go to. /sarcasam.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well had an interesting time with it.

Once I uploaded the Exel, I was able to connect the battery and crank the motor no problem. Pull on the brake, push the button and it cranked as expected (no spark though).

Pushed it around back, tried it again and nadda. Couldn't figure out why. Started tearing off the plastics to get to the bottom of it. Start to check out the CDI and I notice that the kill switch wire is exposed. I snip it in the middle to disconnect it and try the starter again.

Go figure, it starts turning over as expected. Still no spark when grounding it to the engine block though. I grab some wire connectors & reconnect the wires so the kill switch will work as expected.

Move on to see about replacing the ignition coil. Go to start taking it off to check resistance and suddenly one of the wires just falls to pieces (the connector comes off and is no longer connected). I strip a bit back and put a new connector on. I reconnect it and try again, still turns over but no spark.

One of the things I'm confused about is the 'performance coil' that was included with this has two prongs on it (for 2 wires I'm assuming). The one that is on it only has 1 prong on it and the other one seems to be grounded to the chassis via the bolt that holds the ignition coil on.

<QUESTION>
Are these ignition coils pole sensitive? IE. do I have to connect + to + or can I just connect these two wires to either terminal?

I start to tear down to get into the stator, however I forget to bring home my impact driver to rip off the flywheel nut

Where shall I go from here?

Would it be wise to connect my meter to the wires at the CDI and and crank the motor to see if I'm getting any voltages off the stator? Probe the stator directly?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

At this point, I'm leaning toward just replacing all the parts. Used my meter and I'm not getting DC voltage at the CDI, however I am getting AC voltage when cranking the motor. It never registered over 20 volts though. It jumped up to 21, but would stay around 18-19v when cranking.