1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

06 redcat vx 80

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 redcat vx 80

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the board so bare with me .

I recently purchased a Redcat VX 80 from a private seller. The quad ran at idle but when given throttle would start to sputter like fuel or spark was being cut off. Recently it has stopped running. I have gone through and throughly cleaned the carb/jets, checked the cdi and coil,bought a brand new rectifier, adjusted the valves to .05 MM & checked all the grounds to the frame but am still not able to get it to start. Fuel is getting to the cylinder but I see no spark at the electrode on the plug UNLESS i hold it to a ground. Is this a Stator/Magneto problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Again I have great spark when held to a ground but cannot see any at the plug. FYI the plug is brand new.

Last edited by IdyllwildMC; 01-15-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You won't get a spark unless the plug body is earthed. If the plug sparks OK when earthed your problem is fuel or timing, probably fuel, it has to have the right amount, a non functioning choke and you get too little for a cold start. A blocked air filter or loose jet and you get too much fuel for the engine to run.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
You won't get a spark unless the plug body is earthed. If the plug sparks OK when earthed your problem is fuel or timing, probably fuel, it has to have the right amount, a non functioning choke and you get too little for a cold start. A blocked air filter or loose jet and you get too much fuel for the engine to run.

Problem solved. It ended up being a carb jet issue, but the normal plugged jet issue. The main jet had a leak coming from the threads area, the jet was walking its way out. Re tightened with a little fuel/hydralic teflon tape and problem was solved.