1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

please help with valve adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with valve adjustment.

so I have a question about adjusting my valves on my 50cc honda knock off 1.what should I adjust them to. 2. does it look like they are wayyyy off in these pics I am having issues getting my quad to start and I am thinking this may be why also any tips on doing the adjustment where do I put the feeler gauge am I wrong to think there is a huge gap in this picture the motor is at tdc of the compression stroke aka the its lined up with the t mark and when I move it back and forth the valves dont move at all.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

since these engines goes 2 revolutions for compression ...turn your engine again to the "T" mark just to make sure.
The valves should move both intake and exhaust at the T mark.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Once you have done like wsy9benz suggested and have made sure that you are at TDCC (Top Dead Center Compression stroke, also, to be sure you are there in case your valves are way off, you can take the spark plug out and poke a pen (gently) into the spark plug hole. If it is at TDCC then the pen won't go in very far before it hits the piston. If you don't feel the top of the piston with the pen, you're not in the correct stroke), take a feeler guage (usually .003 for intake and .004 for exhaust valves) and place them between the rocker and the valve stem tips (the round disk that you can see in your pics is the washer with valve stem tip in the center right under the adjuster screw) Then back off the nut on the top just enough to be able to turn the center screw. Turn the center screw in our out until you have reached the right adjustment. (the feeler guage should be able to move in between the rocker and valve tip with just a little resistance.) Then tighten the nut back down. Try to make sure that the center screw doesn't turn as you tighten the nut or it will throw off your valve adjustment.
Hope this helps you.