1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

E-ton Sierra DXL starter/starting issues for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-ton Sierra DXL starter/starting issues for a newbie

Typical story. Picked this up for the right price(good thing, cause I have no budget for this one right before Christmas).
Be patient with me, I'm new to digging into an ATV.
No start/no run. May have some issues with the multifunction switch, but I'll worry about that down the road.
Has electric and kick start, with kickstart will not run, but at least has compression, so I feel ok about spending some time/effort in this beast, it'll work for the wife, and kid when he get s a little older.

When trying to start with the electric starter, I get the sound of teeth bouncing off teeth, but not grabbing. I was hoping for worn down teeth on the starter, but after finally getting that out, looks like it's not the case.
My starter is what I would assume is standard for the chinese budget atvs
Name:  starter_zps0b9e5693.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  13.1 KB

(I will post actual pics later if needed)
Pulled the starter, works fine on the bench, spins at speed, no wobble, teeth don't seem to be badly worn, I assume this is a fixed style, and not the bendix style that will push farther out at speed.
Now checking out the mating side inside the atv, the teeth do seem to be more worn on the large gear which appears to be the one it should be meshing with. This also has some play in it, more than I would expect, maybe only a /32nd or so, but it is def play when wiggled.
Safe to assume then I guess that starter gear internally would need to be replaced?
Next question is, how much of a pain is it to get to? I'm sure it's not as easy as just splitting the case and you have access to it. And specialty tools needed? Good source for this gear would be? Or just ebay it? As I said, this is on a serious shoestring budget, I'm already in the doghouse for bringing it home in the first place.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Their is suppose to be some play in those. From what i have seen its just a loose fitting gear with no real thought into it..hehe
If its anything like mine you have the gear on the end of the starter, then you will have a gear reduction, then your main starting gear i thin this all connects to the timing chain shaft as on mine i can see the chain directly behind it. Have you pulled the cover off the stator and end of the starter and had someone hold the starer in place and hold the gear reduction with a screwdriver to see what is not connecting?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not as of yet, I know I'm going to need to, but wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself in the process, this will be done over the next couple days as I can free up time.
might as well give it a full cleaning/maintenance in the process.Wasnt' sure that things were not going to fly out and smack me in the face in the process. I haven't been able to find a manual online, but I'll just take pics and follow the "put back in reverse of the way it fell apart"