1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I got 99 problems and my starter is one!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got 99 problems and my starter is one!!!

I bought a cheap beat up quad this week, what the heck I like tinkering.

Before I get into the issue I am seeing I have done a fair share of reading. Lots of good info, but can't find a thread that applies to what I am seeing.

My first goal is to get the engine/starter to turn over. I stripped off of custom wiring and it appears the wiring is back to original. I put a known good battery on the quad from my riding lawn mower.

When I press the start button I get a clicking button on the starter solenoid. I measured the following on my volt meter.
Battery 12.x constantly
Solenoid 12.x when I depress the starter button
Wiring going to starter 12.x when I depress the starter button.

The brakes are depressed in the tests to hopefully eliminate that from being an issue.

Shorting the solenoid does not help

I also tried to jump it just incase the battery had issues but no luck

Could this be my actual starter? It looks much more shiny than the rest of the metal on the quad. Could that be an aftermarket starter that went bad? Is there a way to test the starter, on or off the quad. Any maintenance you can recommend on this part?

Am I just missing the ball?

I did do a video that somewhat shows this if that helps? I was taking the video in one hand and trying to show results in another so I couldn't capture everything.
Here is the link:

The reasons the results look off in the video is the fact I couldn't hold things on fully while taping.

Thanks for the guidance

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh and the lights were taken off so I can see if they work either

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

You can take the starter off and bench test it. Just hook up the positive point on the starter to a positive on a good battery and then ground the other side and see if it spins.
I would start there.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Ace. I was not able to bench test the unit because of the chain connecting the unit to the engine.

I did take off the magnet portion off and a couple of components crumbled. I noticed a spring was broken and there was some melting.

I went ahead and ordered a new starter. Wish I didn't have to break down the engine to replace it, but I have a few screw drivers.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

well, I'm gonna bet if the starter was burnt internally, it was probably bad, lol. Hopefully once you get the new one in it will work for ya. If you have any other problems after that, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out.

by the way, opening the motor may not have been neccessary. once you have the starter bolts off, pull on the starter just enough to see some space in the hole the gear goes in. then take a long thin screwdriver and work it under the starter gear to catch the chain. Then either just work the starter out or use another small srewdriver or an awl to remove the chain. Just be sure to keep that long screwdriver in place so that the chain doesn't fall. then reverse the order to get the new starter in. It can be a pain, but it's usually faster and a lot less work.