1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kill Switch Question

Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch Question

I have a 4 pin CDI. One of the pins in my schematic is labeled KILL SWITCH and indicates it needs a switched +12v.

Is this the keyed +12v? Or like a primary switch? This quad has the key bypassed with a toggle switch.

Also, the kill switch in the handlebars is a ground. When idle there is no connection to +12v or ground. When 'killed', it sends the kill switch wire to ground. This doesn't appear to be the original handle bar switch.

So to boil it down - what needs connected to the kill switch pin on my CDI when running and when I want it killed?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lets see if this helps...

I got it started today and it will run pretty smoothly. But when I shut off the ignition switch (a toggle switch in my case) it keeps running. Sometimes it will start to sputter and slowly die out. But it keeps on running like nothing happens. Once it finally stops (disconnect the CDI harness), it won't start up by itself or anything.

The grounded kill switch wire is not connected to anything. Where does it go? Why doesn't it shut off straight away when I kill all power to the electronics?

Here is how I have the CDI wired:

The Switched 12 volts pin is where I have my power straight from the battery (through a toggle switch) going. Ground is self explanatory, and the other 2 are going to the coil and engine wires. Charging and accessory electronics seem to be working fine.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

try running your kill switch to the ground on the cdi. Probably when you use the 12v as your kill the coil or trigger could be back feeding slightly with enough power to keep it live.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the CDI always grounded. How would using the ground from the kill switch change anything? Will it run without that ground connection? I'll test it when I get the chance.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

About the feedback - would that be from the coil or the CDI? My coil has green and black connectors. I used green as ground to follow the schematic. But the previous owner had it reversed. (It ran, but poorly in his configuration). Can the coil be backwards and still run?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

most kill switches run by disconnecting the ground to the cdi or some other ignition module. my little 110 had 3 different kill or safety switches and the all ran back to the same place and killed the ground to cdi as far as i could tell..

Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reading through many posts here I'm even more confused. Most often when a quad won't start, one of the first things to help diagnose the problem is to REMOVE the kill switch wire. Is this the same between 4 and 5 pin CDIs?

I'm not looking for a safety feature as much as just wanting to be able to shut the thing off. Would a momentary switch on the ground be enough to kill it?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

For anyone that is searching and finds this thread...

I was able to work around my problem by putting a switch on the CDI ground wire. It shuts off instantly with that switch. I still have my main switch to give everything 12v, but this second kill switch is only for the 4 pin CDI ground wire. Kills it right away.