1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

250cc zongshen atv - no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250cc zongshen atv - no spark

hi everyone, im trying to get some help with my atv because it will not start. I dont know much about the bike other then it is a zongshen (yamoto). It was running 2 months ago before a friend of mine switched it from a 4 pin cdi to a 6pin cdi and now i am lost because there's no spark. This is what i have done so far:;

Tested the ignition coil:
throws out 10,000 ohms

Took off the kill switch, so this would ensure im getting spark. but nothing

changed the plug

changed the cdi (no luck)

1) Unplug the CDI. Turn the ignition switch on. Set all kill switches the the "run" position. In the wiring harness, measure the resistance of the kill switch pin to the ground pin on the 20K ohm scale. It should read infinite ohms (same as when the meter leads are hanging free and not touching anything). It should not read zero ohms (shorted).yes

2) Leave the CDI unplugged. Use a meter to measure the resistance of the AC ignition power pin in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 2K ohm scale. You should read approximately 400 ohms. What do you measure?
450 ohms

3) In a similar fashion measure the resistance of the Ignition Trigger Pulse pin to the ground pin. You should see 150 ohms or so. What do you measure?
161 ohms

4) Switch your meter over to measure AC volts on the 200 volt scale. Leave the CDI unplugged. While cranking the engine, measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should measure 40 to 80 volts AC. What do you measure?
21 Volts

5) Set your meter down to the lowest scale you have for measuring AC volts. 2 volts would be ideal, but some meters don't go that low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. While cranking the engine, measure the voltage on the Ignition Trigger Pulse pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should measure 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC. What do you measure?
0.1-0.2(it flickers)

6) Now plug the CDI back in. Measure the AC voltage on the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin using the 200 volt scale. If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the wire insulation and then put the meter probe on the sewing pin. But don't hold your fingers on the connection during the next test - there may be high voltage here when the engine is turning. With the ignition on and all kill switches set to the "run" position, crank the starter motor. You should see voltages bouncing around at random values and the meter captures all or part of a spark event. What do you see?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

did you change it back to a 5 pin or another 6 pin?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
did you change it back to a 5 pin or another 6 pin?
I have not tryed to switch it back to the normal 5 pin cdi as id have to redo the wiring to the cdi connector, a friend of mine said to rewire the old cdi back on it and put it back to normal then it should run.. im not sure as to why it doesnt have spark it did have spark when he rewired it but it did not idel by itself, now theres no spark at all.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol

ahh crap now i just ran into this with the same machine but i have a 6 pin cdi

Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

ahh crap now i just ran into this with the same machine but i have a 6 pin cdi
did you try to switch cdis? i was told that i might have fried my coil

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol

no it had a 6 pin on it when i got it and it does not look like anything was modified. Im thinking bad wire as it was running and then i spent 10 min putting in new battery and putting it all back together and then nothing.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

no it had a 6 pin on it when i got it and it does not look like anything was modified. Im thinking bad wire as it was running and then i spent 10 min putting in new battery and putting it all back together and then nothing.
do you have spark? if you dont then its the wires for sure

Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol

ya no spark.. if you look at my other post another random no start you see the whole story . Now that its daylight ill go work on it again.
Im just having no luck with imports this weekend. My little girls 110 i just put a new sprocket on the rear as previous owner had it geared way to low. Worked great in the yard go for a drive and realized the from gear is the wrong size for the chain

Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol

not sure if you got yours running or not but the issue with mine turned out to be the kill switch. Pulled the kill switch from the cdi and all is good

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

not sure if you got yours running or not but the issue with mine turned out to be the kill switch. Pulled the kill switch from the cdi and all is good
Glad to hear your up and running ! As I am too. I switched back to my old Cdi to see what would happen rewired everything and boom she ran. Had to wire a kill switch to the positive terminal then to the ignition switch, what a day!

Quick Reply: 250cc zongshen atv - no spark