1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

chinese Rebel will only run at WOT and will not idle!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy chinese Rebel will only run at WOT and will not idle!!

I have cleaned the Carbs 3 different times. At first, it would only start if I covered the air intake on the carb with my hand. Now it starts, but I have to give it alot of throttle or it will turn off. I've noticed on other forums that most carbs have two screws. 1 for air mixture and 1 for the main jet adjustment. I only see one screw on this Carb and I have adjusted it in meny differnt directions to no avail. This ATV also has an automatic choke. Also, on the large hose that connect to the side of the carb that goes into the engine, there is a smaller hose that comes out and just dangles there. Not sure if it broke off and needs to be connected somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i know you stated that you cleaned the carb, but it sounds like either your pilot jet is plugged, which won't let it idle, and/or the idle adjustment screw may have some solids in it preventing any fuel flow. on your pilot jet, all orifices must be cleaned and you must be able to see daylight through it...horizontally and vertically.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

jaster94, thanks for the quick reoply. The ATV is about 9 years old. When I first cleand the carb, it was in reaally bad shape - Dirt and muck! I cleaned all the brass screws (Was able to see day light through them) I only see one brass screw on the out side of the carb.Is that the Pilet jet screw or is that the idle adjutment screw.Either case, why would I only see one brass screw and not the other?
Is the other screw located in the carb? if so, where and which one is it. Pilot jet or idle?
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I just took the carb completely apart and everything seemed very clean. If it helpd anyone, The carb is a KeiHin CVK.
Now that I put it all back together, Im back to it not starting at all unless I cover the air intake on the carb. As soon I uncover it, unless im on WOT, it turns right off. I am at a loss, dono what to do now. can anyone help?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

"Also, on the large hose that connect to the side of the carb that goes into the engine, there is a smaller hose that comes out and just dangles there."

Your wording is a bit confusing here. Do you have
1) A separate hose dangling. That is near the one going to the engine? or
2) The line going from the carb to the engine splits and one end is dangling?

The reason I ask is in problem 1 I have no idea where each hose should go. But when reading your post I thought you may have air leaking around your carb/intake and if 2 is correct then it would mimic that. If 2 is correct shove a screw or something in the dangling hose and see if things get better. If so you can find where that is suppose to go later (vaccuum petcock maybe?).

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

If this intake/carb is setup simalar to mine, that hose off to the side of the carb runs to the vacuum fuel pump on the fuel tank. Thats where it heads to on mine at least. And with no fuel being pumped into the carb, that might explain why its not starting well.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mudmike,
Yes, hard to explain sorry. I have a direct line going from the carb to the intake of the engine. On that main line, there is a small brass fitting with a hose attached to it. That hose goes no where. I put a screw into that hose as suggested and it did nothing.
I do believe the problem is air related. Like I said earlier, if I put my fingers of the air intake of the carb, it will start and idle. However, as soon as i remove my hand, I have to give it throttle or it will shut off.
LAPURR,
Currently, I have one brass fitting that a hose is connected to and it goes to the gas tank. The only other hose on the carb is at the bottom next to the drain screw and it also just dangles there.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

OK that just sounded like a huge vacuum leak to me. I guess the next step is to get a can of starting fluid (other things like wd-40 work but starting fluid evaporates quickly and cleans oil off parts instead of leaving a film) and use your hand to keep it running. Now spray starting fluid on any vacuum lines on the engine/carb/ the carb boot, boot to intake, intake itself, and where the intake meets the head. And listen for the engine to rev (may bog with other products). Just don't spray it in the carb intake because everyone knows that will make the engine rev. If the engine revs you found your air leak and its just a matter of exploring why. It could be as simple as a loose bolt or bad vacuum line. Or it could be a bad gasket or cracked intake. You wont know until you locate where the air is getting in.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Los snookers
Mudmike,
Yes, hard to explain sorry. I have a direct line going from the carb to the intake of the engine. On that main line, there is a small brass fitting with a hose attached to it. That hose goes no where. I put a screw into that hose as suggested and it did nothing.
wished you had a pic of this, BUT i'm thinking this: that particular hose may be the overflow hose, so take the screw out.
now on your intake boot, does it have a flange that connects the boot to the carb? if so, is the O-ring intact? is the flange facing the right way so as to not create a vacuum leak?